Re: 25-th port is not opened

  • John Allen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 1935
      What I should check in the first place?
      I don't see any sign that postfix is running.

      How about a simple test to see if it running, most distro have the "service" command so start with

      service postfix status

      this should tell you if postfix is running or not. if your distro does not have the service command you could try

      ps  -A | grep master

      this should show you is postfix master process is running, but its not definitive.

      have you checked the mail log, and or the syslog to see if there is a problem with postfix.

      John A

      Today's mighty Oak is yesterday's nut that held it's ground. - Margaret Bailey

      Sent using Mozilla Thunderbird

    • arsen.shnurkov
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 1935
        # postfix -v start
        postfix: name_mask: ipv4
        postfix: inet_addr_local: configured 5 IPv4 addresses

        # ps -e | grep master
        #

        > Is this pipe character really there? It should not be.
        no, it's artefact from mail, there is no such pipe characted in config
        > You do NOT want verbose logs. Remove the -v.
        ok, will do that later
        >> Logs are empty > This is what you must fix first.
        What should I check? I tried to write test messages and they go to log without troubles: # logger -p mail.warn "Mail warining" # logger -p mail.info "Mail info" # logger -p mail.error "Mail error" # cat /var/log/mail/mail.log Feb 2 20:08:25 test154 nobody: Mail warining Feb 2 20:08:32 test154 nobody: Mail info Feb 2 20:08:39 test154 nobody: Mail error
        > Did you delete it?
        No
        > Try restarting the syslogd.
        Did that before.
        > "postconf -n" is strongly preferred here.
        # postconf -n command_directory = /usr/sbin config_directory = /etc/postfix daemon_directory = /usr/lib64/postfix data_directory = /var/lib/postfix debug_peer_level = 2 debugger_command = PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5 default_destination_concurrency_limit = 10 home_mailbox = .maildir/ html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.5/html inet_interfaces = all inet_protocols = ipv4 local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2 mail_owner = postfix mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq manpage_directory = /usr/share/man mydestination = localhost mydomain = mydomain.ru myhostname = mydomain.ru mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8 newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.5/readme sample_directory = /etc/postfix sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail setgid_group = postdrop unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550 virtual_gid_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql/mysql-virtual-gid.cf virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql/mysql-virtual-domains.cf virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql/mysql-virtual-maps.cf virtual_uid_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql/mysql-virtual-uid.cf
        > Until you get the logs working there is little else we can say here.
        I think that syslog-ng works properly. It's postfix who doesn't start.
        > How about a simple test to see if it running, ps  -A | grep master
        no, it isn't running: # ps  -A | grep master #
        > have you checked the mail log, and or the syslog to see if there is a problem with postfix.
        nothing new in these logs
      • John Allen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 1935
          >> How about a simple test to see if it running, ps  -A | grep
          master
          >no, it isn't running:

          There is not much point in looking anywhere for a solution for problems, until you have Postfix running.
          Try         "service postfix start"      what happens?

          John A
        • Reindl Harald
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 1935
            Am 02.02.2013 18:45, schrieb John Allen:
            >>> How about a simple test to see if it running, ps -A | grep master
            >>no, it isn't running:
            >
            > There is not much point in looking anywhere for a solution for problems, until you have Postfix running.
            > Try "service postfix start" what happens?

            if you would have read the thread you would have
            seen that sysvinit believes it is started and say OK

            /usr/sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix start
            or maybe on older systems before UsrMove
            /sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix start

            would be a better chance to get REALLY output
          • John Allen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 1935
              On 02/02/2013 1:16 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

              >>> no, it isn't running:
              >> There is not much point in looking anywhere for a solution for problems, until you have Postfix running.
              >> Try "service postfix start" what happens?
              > if you would have read the thread you would have
              > seen that sysvinit believes it is started and say OK
              >
              > /usr/sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix start
              > or maybe on older systems before UsrMove
              > /sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix start
              >
              > would be a better chance to get REALLY output

              I agree, but it might be a nice idea to see what happens with manual
              start. After all there is nothing in the logs that we have been told
              about that say it ever started, no matter what sysvint says.

              What we have is :
              nothing listening on port 25, 465(?), 587.
              master does not appear in the output of ps, if Postfix is running I
              would assume we should see it
              if you run "ps -A | grep master"

              So what evidence is there that it was ever started, has it been added to
              the init.
              At the moment we have no evidence that it started, and certainly none
              that it started successfully.
            • arsen.shnurkov
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 1935
                > What we have is :
                > nothing listening on port 25, 465(?), 587.
                > master does not appear in the output of ps, if Postfix is running
                > I would assume we should see it
                > if you run "ps -A | grep master"
                >
                > So what evidence is there that it was ever started, has it been added
                > to the init.
                > At the moment we have no evidence that it started, and certainly none
                > that it started successfully.

                The source of error was the old configuration script.
                I found this with strace log file - http://bpaste.net/show/74653/

                line 229:

                execve("/usr/lib64/postfix/postfix-script",
                ["/usr/lib64/postfix/postfix-script", "start"], [/* 18 vars */]) = -1
                ENOEXEC (Exec format error)

                Distribution maintainers move directory, but I didn't update script
                properly.

                Old script has
                daemon_directory = /usr/lib64/postfix
                now it is