Re: clamd with clamsmtp vs mailscanner

  • Scott Kitterman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
      On Thursday, January 31, 2013 03:29:31 PM John Allen wrote:
      > On 31/01/2013 6:59 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
      > > i wanted to have an experienced suggestion from Pros. i have been
      > > going through from different steps deploying clamav and spamassassin,
      > > one is "mailscanner" and seccond one is "clamd with clamsmtp"
      > > in your expert opinion which one is the right track to choose. like
      > > which one is efficient in perspective of hardware utilization /
      > > resources utilization , complexity and more appropriate approach
      > > towards stable deployment.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      >
      > Why not use Amavis-new as the mail scanner. It will handle the hand off
      > to spamassassin and clamav and the return of scanned mail to postfix and
      > there are several very good "How to"s on setting it up.

      Personally, I use clamsmtp for virus scanning only and amavisd-new if the
      requirement is for both virus and spam scanning. They all have their
      advantages.

      It also depends a bit on what O/S distribution you're using. In
      Debian/Ubuntu, none of the people who maintain clamav use the milter so it
      gets very light testing at the distribution level.

      Scott K