Diagnosing missing mail

  • Charles Marcus
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2013
      Hello all,

      We finally ditched postini for MailDistiller for our anti-spam service, and are mostly happy, but we're having a problem receiving certain emails from a site affiliated with our Bank of America accounts...

      Here is the headers for a message that did actually get through today, but most of these just disappear into some black hole, and MailDistiller tech support says they don't see any rejects in their logs...

      Subject:
      CashPro Freedom Check Positive Pay - No Exceptions
      From:
      "CashPro Freedom" <cashpro_freedom@...>
      Date:
      To:
      <validuser@...>
      iso-8859-1

      This line looks weird to me:

      Why does mailout04 think it is mailout02 (mailout02 hostname is in parenthesis following mailout04)?

      Also, the time on that server appears to be very wrong - could that also cause some kind of low-level reject, maybe even a firewall dropping the connection?

      Would appreciate someone who understand DNS better than me looking at these hostnames and seeing if there is a serious enough problem somewhere that could cause mail to disappear...

      Thanks...

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2013
        Charles Marcus:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > We finally ditched postini for MailDistiller for our anti-spam service,
        > and are mostly happy, but we're having a problem receiving certain
        > emails from a site affiliated with our Bank of America accounts...

        Looking at mail that *is delivered* won't tell you what happened
        with mail that is lost.

        You need to find out which messages disappear down a black hole.

        First, make sure local mail handling is sound: analyze Postfix logs
        and find out if any received mail is not logged as delivered or
        returned.

        Second, mail may be lost up-stream. Set up a cron job that sends
        one message each hour through your mail security provider, and look
        at their arrival pattern: how much delay, how much never delivered.