Re: clamd with clamsmtp vs mailscanner

  • John Allen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

      On 31/01/2013 6:59 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
      i wanted to have an experienced suggestion from Pros. i have been
      going through from different steps deploying clamav and spamassassin,
      one is "mailscanner" and seccond one is "clamd with clamsmtp"
      in your expert opinion which one is the right track to choose. like
      which one is efficient in perspective of hardware utilization /
      resources utilization , complexity and more appropriate approach
      towards stable deployment.

      Thanks

      Why not use Amavis-new as the mail scanner. It will handle the hand off to spamassassin and clamav and the return of scanned mail to postfix and there are several very good "How to"s on setting it up.

      Today's mighty Oak is yesterday's nut that held it's ground. - Margaret Bailey

      Sent using Mozilla Thunderbird

    • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
        Thanks all for all your support :) its been very helpful

        On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:29 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:

        > On 31/01/2013 6:59 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
        >
        > i wanted to have an experienced suggestion from Pros. i have been
        > going through from different steps deploying clamav and spamassassin,
        > one is "mailscanner" and seccond one is "clamd with clamsmtp"
        > in your expert opinion which one is the right track to choose. like
        > which one is efficient in perspective of hardware utilization /
        > resources utilization , complexity and more appropriate approach
        > towards stable deployment.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Why not use Amavis-new as the mail scanner. It will handle the hand off to
        > spamassassin and clamav and the return of scanned mail to postfix and there
        > are several very good "How to"s on setting it up.
        >
        > Today's mighty Oak is yesterday's nut that held it's ground. - Margaret
        > Bailey
        >
        > Sent using Mozilla Thunderbird

      • Scott Kitterman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
          On Thursday, January 31, 2013 03:29:31 PM John Allen wrote:
          > On 31/01/2013 6:59 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
          > > i wanted to have an experienced suggestion from Pros. i have been
          > > going through from different steps deploying clamav and spamassassin,
          > > one is "mailscanner" and seccond one is "clamd with clamsmtp"
          > > in your expert opinion which one is the right track to choose. like
          > > which one is efficient in perspective of hardware utilization /
          > > resources utilization , complexity and more appropriate approach
          > > towards stable deployment.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          >
          > Why not use Amavis-new as the mail scanner. It will handle the hand off
          > to spamassassin and clamav and the return of scanned mail to postfix and
          > there are several very good "How to"s on setting it up.

          Personally, I use clamsmtp for virus scanning only and amavisd-new if the
          requirement is for both virus and spam scanning. They all have their
          advantages.

          It also depends a bit on what O/S distribution you're using. In
          Debian/Ubuntu, none of the people who maintain clamav use the milter so it
          gets very light testing at the distribution level.

          Scott K