Re: clamd with clamsmtp vs mailscanner

      On 1/31/2013 1:40 PM, Thomas Leuxner wrote:
      > * Noel Jones <njones@...> 2013.01.31 18:23:
      >
      >> Other than the obvious?
      >
      > That is a tad bit vague. When I looked at the milter some
      > (long) time ago, it was far less intuitive than a dedicated
      > SMTP interface. It also gave very little to no messages
      > indicating it actually processed mail. I went with clamsmtp at
      > that time which never failed me and ran without any hiccups
      > happily ever after. It even provides the ability to trigger
      > event driven actions - whether you need that feature or not.
      > I'm lacking background on milter interfaces vs. SMTP servers,
      > but my gut feeling is that the latter is far more scalable.
      >
      > Regards Thomas

      Mostly I was referring to mailscanner as having more third-party
      dependencies, but clamsmtp has the obvious dependency of itself,
      whereas clamav-milter is included with & maintained by the clamav
      team.

      The postfix <> milter interface is dirt-simple to set up, and
      doesn't suffer from the double-hop performance penalty of a proxy.
      That said, I expect real-world performance to be close enough
      that it's not a deciding factor.

      With milter, you also get the (questionable, but important to some
      folks) ability to specify a default action when the back end breaks.
      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#milter_default_action

      You're right that clamav-milter doesn't spam your logs with
      unnecessary "Still working! Clean mail!" messages; that's probably
      a good thing. You can always turn on debugging during
      install/testing to see if it's really working.

      The clamav-milter is also not particularly flexible. Its "virus"
      actions are limited to "reject" or "quarantine" (hold), globally
      configured.
      When I need something more flexible, I prefer amavisd-new, which
      is high-performance, high-reliability, very flexible, and can be
      used as a proxy or milter.

      I think that's enough on this subject.

      -- Noel Jones
    • John Allen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

        On 31/01/2013 6:59 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
        i wanted to have an experienced suggestion from Pros. i have been
        going through from different steps deploying clamav and spamassassin,
        one is "mailscanner" and seccond one is "clamd with clamsmtp"
        in your expert opinion which one is the right track to choose. like
        which one is efficient in perspective of hardware utilization /
        resources utilization , complexity and more appropriate approach
        towards stable deployment.

        Thanks

        Why not use Amavis-new as the mail scanner. It will handle the hand off to spamassassin and clamav and the return of scanned mail to postfix and there are several very good "How to"s on setting it up.

        Today's mighty Oak is yesterday's nut that held it's ground. - Margaret Bailey

        Sent using Mozilla Thunderbird

      • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
          Thanks all for all your support :) its been very helpful

          On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:29 AM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:

          > On 31/01/2013 6:59 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
          >
          > i wanted to have an experienced suggestion from Pros. i have been
          > going through from different steps deploying clamav and spamassassin,
          > one is "mailscanner" and seccond one is "clamd with clamsmtp"
          > in your expert opinion which one is the right track to choose. like
          > which one is efficient in perspective of hardware utilization /
          > resources utilization , complexity and more appropriate approach
          > towards stable deployment.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Why not use Amavis-new as the mail scanner. It will handle the hand off to
          > spamassassin and clamav and the return of scanned mail to postfix and there
          > are several very good "How to"s on setting it up.
          >
          > Today's mighty Oak is yesterday's nut that held it's ground. - Margaret
          > Bailey
          >
          > Sent using Mozilla Thunderbird

        • Scott Kitterman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
            On Thursday, January 31, 2013 03:29:31 PM John Allen wrote:
            > On 31/01/2013 6:59 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
            > > i wanted to have an experienced suggestion from Pros. i have been
            > > going through from different steps deploying clamav and spamassassin,
            > > one is "mailscanner" and seccond one is "clamd with clamsmtp"
            > > in your expert opinion which one is the right track to choose. like
            > > which one is efficient in perspective of hardware utilization /
            > > resources utilization , complexity and more appropriate approach
            > > towards stable deployment.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            >
            > Why not use Amavis-new as the mail scanner. It will handle the hand off
            > to spamassassin and clamav and the return of scanned mail to postfix and
            > there are several very good "How to"s on setting it up.

            Personally, I use clamsmtp for virus scanning only and amavisd-new if the
            requirement is for both virus and spam scanning. They all have their
            advantages.

            It also depends a bit on what O/S distribution you're using. In
            Debian/Ubuntu, none of the people who maintain clamav use the milter so it
            gets very light testing at the distribution level.

            Scott K