Re: Postscreen status script

  • Mike.
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2013
      On 1/30/2013 at 3:55 AM Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

      |On 1/29/2013 8:07 PM, Mike. wrote:
      |>
      |> I implemented the postscreen capability on a small MTA I run for
      |> friends and family. Once I got postscreen configuration producing
      the
      |> results I wanted, I soon tired of watching the detailed maillog to
      see
      |> how postscreen was operating. So I wrote a quick shell script to
      |> summarize the log file and give me an overview of how well
      postscreen
      |> is working.
      |>
      |> I offer the script to anyone who would like to use it. One company
      |> worked for would not allow open source software into the company
      unless
      |> there was an explicit license on the software, so I put the BSD
      license
      |> on the script.
      |>
      |> You can download the script from here:
      |> http://archive.mgm51.com/sources/pslogscan.html
      |
      |Thanks Mike.
      |
      |The concept is really good but I must say it's a script for very small

      |logs but in a system that the logs are in sizes of more then 100MB I
      |assume your script will be very slow.
      |
      |How are you in other scripting languages?
      |I have been working with Ruby\Perl\Python\Bash and for me Ruby is the
      |most intuitive and seems like capable of doing this task easily.
      |
      |Regards,
      |--
      |Eliezer

      =============

      I've tried it on logs up to 40MB, and it ran to completion in around
      five seconds. However, for that test, I copied the log file off the
      production mail server and on to a lightly loaded box.
    • Eliezer Croitoru
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2013
        On 1/30/2013 4:32 PM, Mike. wrote:
        > =============
        >

        > I've tried it on logs up to 40MB, and it ran to completion in around
        > five seconds. However, for that test, I copied the log file off the
        > production mail server and on to a lightly loaded box.

        It's a pretty decent speed.
        I have wrote a script to analyze squid\apache logs before and it's more
        complicated then just match a line to a string.

        grep in general is faster for exact matches in most cases I have seen
        yet and it's amazing.

        The same lookup on any other scripting lang will take *3-4 or more.

        --
        Eliezer Croitoru