Re: Question About Log entries

  • Bob Cohen
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
      On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

      > Bob Cohen:
      >> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
      >>
      >> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
      >
      > This means that you have configured:
      >
      > something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
      >
      > As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
      > is ignored.

      Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something before permit? Note I just posted some log entries and postconf -n.

      -Bob

      Bob Cohen
      Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
      w: bobjcohen.com
      t: #itsabobworld
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
        Am 26.01.2013 19:13, schrieb Bob Cohen:

        > On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Bob Cohen:
        >>> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
        >>>
        >>> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
        >>
        >> This means that you have configured:
        >>
        >> something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
        >>
        >> As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
        >> is ignored.
        >
        > Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something before permit?

        logically yes

        how do you imagine that anything does something after "permit" took action?
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
          On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:25:00PM -0500, Bob Cohen wrote:

          > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
          >
          > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
          >
          > Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the
          > reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the
          > permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

          Postfix is *issuing* the warning, it takes a flight of fancy to
          think Postfix is ignoring the warning. When Postfix warns you that:

          "thing Y after [thing] X is ignored"

          it means what it says: Thing Y which occurs after thing X is [always]
          ignored. Therefore, a configuration with thing Y after thing X is
          likely the result of confusion or a careless error.

          In this case confusion. Restrictions are evaluated in order, don't
          modify Postfix restrictions until you understand how they work.

          Perhaps this will help:

          http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt

          DO NOT parrot any of the specific examples in the guide, rather
          read it ONLY for its explanation of how restrictions work, using
          the specific examples only to help you understand the general rules.
          The explanator material starts with:

          General Notes On "hostname," "helo," "client," "sender"
          and "recipient" Access Lists and Restrictions

          and especially the section:

          Understanding The Order In Which SMTPD Restrictions Are Applied

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
            Bob Cohen:

            > On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Bob Cohen:
            > >> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
            > >>
            > >> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
            > >
            > > This means that you have configured:
            > >
            > > something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
            > >
            > > As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
            > > is ignored.
            >
            > Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something
            > before permit? Note I just posted some log entries and postconf

            No. It means you should read documentation instead
            seeking well-known answers on the mailing list.

            Start with these:
            http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
            http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html

            and follow the hyperlinks.

            Wietse
          • Bob Cohen
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
              On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:05 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

              > No. It means you should read documentation instead
              > seeking well-known answers on the mailing list.

              Thank you. Sorry if I violated list etiquette. It's hard for a ham and egger like me to know what is or isn't common knowledge.

              Bob Cohen
              Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
              w: bobjcohen.com
              t: #itsabobworld
            • Ralf Hildebrandt
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                * Bob Cohen <bob@...>:
                > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                >
                > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored

                > Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the
                > reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the
                > permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

                No. Everything after permit is ignored.

                > warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored

                Again, you seem to have something like:

                ... stuff ...
                permit
                ... more stuff ...

                in your restrictions. "more stuff" will be ignored.

                --
                [*] sys4 AG

                http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
                Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München