Re: Question About Log entries

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
      Bob Cohen:
      > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
      >
      > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored

      This means that you have configured:

      something = something permit reject_rbl_client something

      As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
      is ignored.

      Wietse
    • Bob Cohen
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
        On Jan 26, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:

        > if you want any meaningful answer you have to poast at least
        > a full snippet of all lines to a specific message and output
        > of "postconf -n"

        Thank you.

        -Bob

        log snippet 1

        Jan 26 13:03:00 fortapache postfix/smtpd[29122]: connect from camomile.cloud9.net[168.100.1.3]
        Jan 26 13:03:00 fortapache postfix/smtpd[29122]: warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
        Jan 26 13:03:00 fortapache postfix/smtpd[29122]: warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored
        Jan 26 13:03:00 fortapache postfix/smtpd[29122]: warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored

        log snippet 2

        Jan 26 12:51:52 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: warning: 68.168.97.243: hostname 68-168-97-243.dedicated.codero.net verification failed: Name or service not known
        Jan 26 12:51:52 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: connect from unknown[68.168.97.243]
        Jan 26 12:51:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
        Jan 26 12:51:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored
        Jan 26 12:51:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[68.168.97.243]: 450 4.1.8 <apache@...>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<apache@...> to=<42z4r2l5udb@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<68-168-97-243.phx.dedicated.codero.com>
        Jan 26 12:56:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: timeout after RSET from unknown[68.168.97.243]
        Jan 26 12:56:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: disconnect from unknown[68.168.97.243]

        postconf -n

        alias_database = /etc/postfix/aliases
        alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
        command_directory = /usr/sbin
        config_directory = /etc/postfix
        content_filter = amavisfeed:[127.0.0.1]:10024
        daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
        home_mailbox = Maildir/
        html_directory = no
        local_recipient_maps = $virtual_alias_maps
        mail_owner = postfix
        mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
        manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
        mydestination = /etc/postfix/local_domains
        myhostname = fortapache.bjcserver.com
        myorigin = $myhostname
        newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
        queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
        readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
        relay_domains = $mydestination
        sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
        setgid_group = postdrop
        smtpd_client_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,
        check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/access,
        check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/poprelay,
        permit
        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
        reject_rbl_client dnsbl.sorbs.net,
        smtpd_helo_restrictions = check_helo_access pcre:/etc/postfix/tld.pcre,
        permit
        warn_if_reject,
        check_helo_access pcre:/etc/postfix/tld.pcre
        smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
        check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/access,
        reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
        reject_unauth_destination,
        permit
        smtpd_sender_restrictions =
        reject_unknown_sender_domain,
        reject_non_fqdn_sender,
        check_client_access pcre:/etc/postfix/tld.pcre,
        check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/access,
        check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/poprelay,
        permit
        warn_if_reject,
        check_reverse_client_hostname_access pcre:/etc/postfix/tld.pcre

        soft_bounce = no

        Bob Cohen
        Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
        w: bobjcohen.com
        t: #itsabobworld
      • Bob Cohen
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
          On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

          > Bob Cohen:
          >> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
          >>
          >> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
          >
          > This means that you have configured:
          >
          > something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
          >
          > As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
          > is ignored.

          Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something before permit? Note I just posted some log entries and postconf -n.

          -Bob

          Bob Cohen
          Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
          w: bobjcohen.com
          t: #itsabobworld
        • Reindl Harald
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
            Am 26.01.2013 19:13, schrieb Bob Cohen:

            > On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Bob Cohen:
            >>> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
            >>>
            >>> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
            >>
            >> This means that you have configured:
            >>
            >> something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
            >>
            >> As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
            >> is ignored.
            >
            > Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something before permit?

            logically yes

            how do you imagine that anything does something after "permit" took action?
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
              On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:25:00PM -0500, Bob Cohen wrote:

              > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
              >
              > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
              >
              > Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the
              > reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the
              > permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

              Postfix is *issuing* the warning, it takes a flight of fancy to
              think Postfix is ignoring the warning. When Postfix warns you that:

              "thing Y after [thing] X is ignored"

              it means what it says: Thing Y which occurs after thing X is [always]
              ignored. Therefore, a configuration with thing Y after thing X is
              likely the result of confusion or a careless error.

              In this case confusion. Restrictions are evaluated in order, don't
              modify Postfix restrictions until you understand how they work.

              Perhaps this will help:

              http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt

              DO NOT parrot any of the specific examples in the guide, rather
              read it ONLY for its explanation of how restrictions work, using
              the specific examples only to help you understand the general rules.
              The explanator material starts with:

              General Notes On "hostname," "helo," "client," "sender"
              and "recipient" Access Lists and Restrictions

              and especially the section:

              Understanding The Order In Which SMTPD Restrictions Are Applied

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                Bob Cohen:

                > On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Bob Cohen:
                > >> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                > >>
                > >> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
                > >
                > > This means that you have configured:
                > >
                > > something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
                > >
                > > As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
                > > is ignored.
                >
                > Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something
                > before permit? Note I just posted some log entries and postconf

                No. It means you should read documentation instead
                seeking well-known answers on the mailing list.

                Start with these:
                http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
                http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html

                and follow the hyperlinks.

                Wietse
              • Bob Cohen
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                  On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:05 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

                  > No. It means you should read documentation instead
                  > seeking well-known answers on the mailing list.

                  Thank you. Sorry if I violated list etiquette. It's hard for a ham and egger like me to know what is or isn't common knowledge.

                  Bob Cohen
                  Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
                  w: bobjcohen.com
                  t: #itsabobworld
                • Ralf Hildebrandt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                    * Bob Cohen <bob@...>:
                    > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                    >
                    > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored

                    > Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the
                    > reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the
                    > permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

                    No. Everything after permit is ignored.

                    > warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored

                    Again, you seem to have something like:

                    ... stuff ...
                    permit
                    ... more stuff ...

                    in your restrictions. "more stuff" will be ignored.

                    --
                    [*] sys4 AG

                    http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
                    Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München