Upgrade for Postfix & Mailman

  • Jeff Bernier
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
      Hello All,

      I am currently running Mailman (2.1.14) and Postfix (2.4.3) on an aging Mac OS X server (10.5.8). Mailman and Postfix on this system are Apple's implementation on their platform of course. Apple no longer supports the Xserve platform, and I am in need of replacing this system, and upgrading to newer versions of Postfix and Mailman.

      We use Postfix for our on campus SMTP Gateway, and Mailman for a small number of active lists. The traffic is light.

      Can anyone recommend a good replacement to this? Recommended Unix/Linux? Is a VM environment an option?

      I would like to get away from the Mac solution, and set up some flavor of Unix with more current versions of Postfix and Mailman. I know this is a very broad question, but I have a blank canvas here... just looking for a direction to go in.

      Any suggestions are appreciated.

      Thanks

      Jeff Bernier
      Email & Accounts Administration
      Rhode Island School of Design
      20 Washington Place, Providence RI 02903
    • btb@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
        On Jan 25, 2013, at 15.07, Jeff Bernier wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am currently running Mailman (2.1.14) and Postfix (2.4.3) on an aging Mac
        > OS X server (10.5.8). Mailman and Postfix on this system are Apple's
        > implementation on their platform of course. Apple no longer supports the
        > Xserve platform, and I am in need of replacing this system, and upgrading
        > to newer versions of Postfix and Mailman.

        you may already know this, but do note that while the xserve and mac os x server have gone away, the underlying components themselves [apple and otherwise] have not, and are now just hidden away within "regular" mac os x. apple sells software that you add to your standard install to provide the apple management mechanisms as were found in os x server. of course, this means that an xserve is not needed either, since it runs just fine on any mac.

        that being said, *do not* misinterpret this information as a suggestion or encouragement that you do this - it is intended only as information, for the sake of it. quite to the contrary, if i were to offer encouragement, it would be to move away from apple products for this sort of thing, but not because the platform has changed.

        > We use Postfix for our on campus SMTP Gateway, and Mailman for a small
        > number of active lists. The traffic is light.
        >
        > Can anyone recommend a good replacement to this? Recommended Unix/Linux?

        whatever os you prefer is likely perfectly fine. i'd encourage you to use an operating system you're comfortable with rather than a particular os just for the sake of postfix. what's more important is that you run reasonably current versions of the software - this may or may not mean using the version available in the operating system's software repositories.

        > Is a VM environment an option?

        in a nutshell - certainly, of course. many people routinely run mail servers on virtual guests. degree of utilization can always become a factor, be it a virtual guest or otherwise, but even moderately high loads can be quite efficiently accommodated by a competent admin.

        -ben
      • Larry Stone
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
          On Fri, 25 Jan 2013, btb@... wrote:

          > On Jan 25, 2013, at 15.07, Jeff Bernier wrote:
          >
          >> Hello All,
          >>
          >> I am currently running Mailman (2.1.14) and Postfix (2.4.3) on an aging Mac
          >> OS X server (10.5.8). Mailman and Postfix on this system are Apple's
          >> implementation on their platform of course. Apple no longer supports the
          >> Xserve platform, and I am in need of replacing this system, and upgrading
          >> to newer versions of Postfix and Mailman.
          >
          > you may already know this, but do note that while the xserve and mac os
          > x server have gone away, the underlying components themselves [apple and
          > otherwise] have not, and are now just hidden away within "regular" mac
          > os x. apple sells software that you add to your standard install to
          > provide the apple management mechanisms as were found in os x server.
          > of course, this means that an xserve is not needed either, since it runs
          > just fine on any mac.
          >
          > that being said, *do not* misinterpret this information as a suggestion
          > or encouragement that you do this - it is intended only as information,
          > for the sake of it. quite to the contrary, if i were to offer
          > encouragement, it would be to move away from apple products for this
          > sort of thing, but not because the platform has changed.

          While I have no experience with OS X Server, I have been running a mail
          server (and related software) on OS X (Client) for several years. Most
          software for the "server" was installed from sources although I used the
          Apple provided versions of Postfix and amavisd-new. However, I am
          currently still running Lion on that machine and from what testing I've
          done, do not see an easy path forward to Mountain Lion (the current OS X
          version). In the upgrade to Mountain Lion, a lot of stuff was moved and
          some things (like amavisd-new) removed.

          One of the problems of the past was Apple's constant behind the scenes
          changes which required some reconfiguration at every major upgrade. If I
          do ever move forward with trying to upgrade, I most likely will go "build
          from sources" for everything (ignoring Apple's provided Postfix) with
          everything in /usr/local (which Apple so far does not touch) so that I am
          not at the whim of their changes.

          -- Larry Stone
          lstone19@...
        • Reindl Harald
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
            Am 25.01.2013 23:46, schrieb Larry Stone:
            > One of the problems of the past was Apple's constant behind the scenes changes which required some reconfiguration
            > at every major upgrade. If I do ever move forward with trying to upgrade, I most likely will go "build from
            > sources" for everything (ignoring Apple's provided Postfix) with everything in /usr/local (which Apple so far does
            > not touch) so that I am not at the whim of their changes

            and that is why i said 10 years ago apple is crap on a server
            nobody believed me and sweared it is the bast you can have

            throw away this carp and learn how to work with a real
            operating system like linx or bsd
          • John Allen
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
              On 25/01/2013 3:07 PM, Jeff Bernier wrote:
              Hello All,

              I am currently running Mailman (2.1.14) and Postfix (2.4.3) on an aging Mac OS X server (10.5.8). Mailman and Postfix on this system are Apple's implementation on their platform of course. Apple no longer supports the Xserve platform, and I am in need of replacing this system, and upgrading to newer versions of Postfix and Mailman.

              As has been said elsewhere not really that surprising.  The flavour of the day is "the cloud"!

              We use Postfix for our on campus SMTP Gateway, and Mailman for a small number of active lists. The traffic is light.

              Can anyone recommend a good replacement to this? Recommended Unix/Linux? Is a VM environment an option?

              I run a couple of servers for a small business co-op one Debian Wheezy and one Ubuntu (currently 12.04 LTS).
              Both run mail servers( Postfix+Dovecot+Amavis-new), WEB servers (HTTP, webdav, davical) plus a few odds and ends without breaking a sweat.
              The Debian machine ran Centos 5 until approx a 18 months ago.
              Both machines have been running for about 4 years without any unplanned outages (Not quite true we had a power outage that lasted 4 hours and the UPSs shutdown).

              I would like to get away from the Mac solution, and set up some flavor of Unix with more current versions of Postfix and Mailman. I know this is a very broad question, but I have a blank canvas here... just looking for a direction to go in.

              Any suggestions are appreciated.

              Go with Debian, I use Testing (wheezy) but any level would be good. Te only, very minor, problem is that Debian prefers Exim as the MTA because of the Postfix license (IBM vs GPL), but it is supported and I have not seen any plans to drop it.
              Ubuntu would be a good alternative, except that they seem to be pushing their cloud solution.
            • Bob Cohen
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.

                warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored

                Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

                warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored

                Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email according to some rule in the main.cf. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

                Thanks for the help.

                -Bob

                Bob Cohen
                Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
                w: bobjcohen.com
                t: #itsabobworld
              • Reindl Harald
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Am 26.01.2013 18:25, schrieb Bob Cohen:
                  > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                  >
                  > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
                  >
                  > Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?
                  >
                  > warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored
                  >
                  > Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email according to some rule in the main.cf. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

                  if you want any meaningful answer you have to poast at least
                  a full snippet of all lines to a specific message and output
                  of "postconf -n"
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Bob Cohen:
                    > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                    >
                    > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored

                    This means that you have configured:

                    something = something permit reject_rbl_client something

                    As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
                    is ignored.

                    Wietse
                  • Bob Cohen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                      On Jan 26, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:

                      > if you want any meaningful answer you have to poast at least
                      > a full snippet of all lines to a specific message and output
                      > of "postconf -n"

                      Thank you.

                      -Bob

                      log snippet 1

                      Jan 26 13:03:00 fortapache postfix/smtpd[29122]: connect from camomile.cloud9.net[168.100.1.3]
                      Jan 26 13:03:00 fortapache postfix/smtpd[29122]: warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
                      Jan 26 13:03:00 fortapache postfix/smtpd[29122]: warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored
                      Jan 26 13:03:00 fortapache postfix/smtpd[29122]: warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored

                      log snippet 2

                      Jan 26 12:51:52 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: warning: 68.168.97.243: hostname 68-168-97-243.dedicated.codero.net verification failed: Name or service not known
                      Jan 26 12:51:52 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: connect from unknown[68.168.97.243]
                      Jan 26 12:51:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
                      Jan 26 12:51:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored
                      Jan 26 12:51:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[68.168.97.243]: 450 4.1.8 <apache@...>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<apache@...> to=<42z4r2l5udb@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<68-168-97-243.phx.dedicated.codero.com>
                      Jan 26 12:56:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: timeout after RSET from unknown[68.168.97.243]
                      Jan 26 12:56:53 fortapache postfix/smtpd[28960]: disconnect from unknown[68.168.97.243]

                      postconf -n

                      alias_database = /etc/postfix/aliases
                      alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
                      command_directory = /usr/sbin
                      config_directory = /etc/postfix
                      content_filter = amavisfeed:[127.0.0.1]:10024
                      daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
                      home_mailbox = Maildir/
                      html_directory = no
                      local_recipient_maps = $virtual_alias_maps
                      mail_owner = postfix
                      mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
                      manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
                      mydestination = /etc/postfix/local_domains
                      myhostname = fortapache.bjcserver.com
                      myorigin = $myhostname
                      newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
                      queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
                      readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
                      relay_domains = $mydestination
                      sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
                      setgid_group = postdrop
                      smtpd_client_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,
                      check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/access,
                      check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/poprelay,
                      permit
                      reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
                      reject_rbl_client dnsbl.sorbs.net,
                      smtpd_helo_restrictions = check_helo_access pcre:/etc/postfix/tld.pcre,
                      permit
                      warn_if_reject,
                      check_helo_access pcre:/etc/postfix/tld.pcre
                      smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                      check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/access,
                      reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
                      reject_unauth_destination,
                      permit
                      smtpd_sender_restrictions =
                      reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                      reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                      check_client_access pcre:/etc/postfix/tld.pcre,
                      check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/access,
                      check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/poprelay,
                      permit
                      warn_if_reject,
                      check_reverse_client_hostname_access pcre:/etc/postfix/tld.pcre

                      soft_bounce = no

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                        On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

                        > Bob Cohen:
                        >> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                        >>
                        >> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
                        >
                        > This means that you have configured:
                        >
                        > something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
                        >
                        > As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
                        > is ignored.

                        Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something before permit? Note I just posted some log entries and postconf -n.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                          Am 26.01.2013 19:13, schrieb Bob Cohen:

                          > On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Bob Cohen:
                          >>> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                          >>>
                          >>> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
                          >>
                          >> This means that you have configured:
                          >>
                          >> something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
                          >>
                          >> As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
                          >> is ignored.
                          >
                          > Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something before permit?

                          logically yes

                          how do you imagine that anything does something after "permit" took action?
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                            On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:25:00PM -0500, Bob Cohen wrote:

                            > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                            >
                            > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
                            >
                            > Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the
                            > reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the
                            > permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

                            Postfix is *issuing* the warning, it takes a flight of fancy to
                            think Postfix is ignoring the warning. When Postfix warns you that:

                            "thing Y after [thing] X is ignored"

                            it means what it says: Thing Y which occurs after thing X is [always]
                            ignored. Therefore, a configuration with thing Y after thing X is
                            likely the result of confusion or a careless error.

                            In this case confusion. Restrictions are evaluated in order, don't
                            modify Postfix restrictions until you understand how they work.

                            Perhaps this will help:

                            http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt

                            DO NOT parrot any of the specific examples in the guide, rather
                            read it ONLY for its explanation of how restrictions work, using
                            the specific examples only to help you understand the general rules.
                            The explanator material starts with:

                            General Notes On "hostname," "helo," "client," "sender"
                            and "recipient" Access Lists and Restrictions

                            and especially the section:

                            Understanding The Order In Which SMTPD Restrictions Are Applied

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                              Bob Cohen:

                              > On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Bob Cohen:
                              > >> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                              > >>
                              > >> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
                              > >
                              > > This means that you have configured:
                              > >
                              > > something = something permit reject_rbl_client something
                              > >
                              > > As documented, evaluation stops at permit. Therefore, reject_rbl_client
                              > > is ignored.
                              >
                              > Thank you. Does that mean I need to put the something = something
                              > before permit? Note I just posted some log entries and postconf

                              No. It means you should read documentation instead
                              seeking well-known answers on the mailing list.

                              Start with these:
                              http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
                              http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html

                              and follow the hyperlinks.

                              Wietse
                            • Bob Cohen
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                                On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:05 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

                                > No. It means you should read documentation instead
                                > seeking well-known answers on the mailing list.

                                Thank you. Sorry if I violated list etiquette. It's hard for a ham and egger like me to know what is or isn't common knowledge.

                                Bob Cohen
                                Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
                                w: bobjcohen.com
                                t: #itsabobworld
                              • Ralf Hildebrandt
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                                  * Bob Cohen <bob@...>:
                                  > Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
                                  >
                                  > warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored

                                  > Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the
                                  > reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the
                                  > permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

                                  No. Everything after permit is ignored.

                                  > warning: restriction `warn_if_reject' after `permit' is ignored

                                  Again, you seem to have something like:

                                  ... stuff ...
                                  permit
                                  ... more stuff ...

                                  in your restrictions. "more stuff" will be ignored.

                                  --
                                  [*] sys4 AG

                                  http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
                                  Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München