Re: relayhost = smtp.myisp.nl

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2013
      On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:12:31PM +0100, Adri van Loopik wrote:

      > I had first also to put smtp_host_lookup on 'native, dns' (I did the
      > same for lmtp_host_lookup, not sure that was needed).

      The real issue was that you failed to use the correct relayhost
      syntax:

      relayhost = [relay.example.com]

      not

      relayhost = example.com

      typically the first form is for relay servers ISPs give their
      customers as submission servers, ... while the second is for relays
      that are domains with MX RRsets. Your ISP probably had MX records
      for the relayhost that pointed elsewhere.

    • Adri van Loopik
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 19, 2013
        For what it is worth: I DID use the relayhost = [smtp.myisp.nl] syntax.

        I hope this is helpful to someone.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2013
          Adri van Loopik:
          > For what it is worth: I DID use the relayhost = [smtp.myisp.nl] syntax.
          >
          > I hope this is helpful to someone.

          It's not helpful without a descripton of the problem symptoms.

          A working Postfix does not need /etc/hosts lookups just because you
          add a transport map. That makes absolutely no sense.

          You need /etc/hosts lookups because you changed something else that
          wasn't mentioned in this thread.

          Wietse