Re: smtp_fallback_relay and greylists

  • Rafael Azevedo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
      > It says use the same host. It does not say use the same
      > myhostname setting.

      Thanks once again Wietse! Your help is very appreciated.

      I'll try to work on this.

      BR,
      - Rafael
    • Rafael Azevedo
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
        > It says use the same host. It does not say use the same
        > myhostname setting.

        Wietse,

        Could you please tell me the difference of "same host" and "myhostname"?

        What I understood from the document is that its suggested to use the same host/ip to re-send the message in cases of greylists. In my case, each postfix server uses myhostname to determinate the server's host (each host has its own ip).

        So I imagined that I should use the same myhostname in smtp_fallback_relay in order to have it retrying to send the messages that were deferred because of graylists.

        Would you please give me a light on this?

        Thanks in advance.
        - Rafael
      • Stan Hoeppner
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
          On 1/17/2013 5:16 AM, Rafael Azevedo wrote:

          > Could you please tell me the difference of "same host" and "myhostname"?

          A host is a computer (or virtual machine). myhostname is a Postfix
          parameter. Now plug these into the context of Wietse's statement to you
          and you should understand.

          --
          Stan
        • Rafael Azevedo
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
            > A host is a computer (or virtual machine). myhostname is a Postfix
            > parameter. Now plug these into the context of Wietse's statement to you
            > and you should understand.

            Thanks Stan!

            But if I point it to another host (different than myhostname) it will send through another IP right? I'm not sure how can I get through greylist this way.

            This concept is still not clear for me.

            - Rafael
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
              Rafael Azevedo:
              > > A host is a computer (or virtual machine). myhostname is a Postfix
              > > parameter. Now plug these into the context of Wietse's statement to you
              > > and you should understand.
              >
              > Thanks Stan!
              >
              > But if I point it to another host (different than myhostname) it
              > will send through another IP right? I'm not sure how can I get
              > through greylist this way.

              host = computer (operating system on top of real or virtual hardware)
              MTA = postfix

              The text in main.cf assumes that both non-fallback and fallback
              MTA run on the same host and that they send mail from the same
              source IP address. You could for example:

              - Configure both MTAs to use the same smtp_bind_address.

              - Configure each MTA with its own IP address and play with NAT.

              Wietse
            • Steve Jenkins
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
                On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 5:28 AM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                host = computer (operating system on top of real or virtual hardware)
                MTA = postfix

                The text in main.cf assumes that both non-fallback and fallback
                MTA run on the same host and that they send mail from the same
                source IP address. You could for example:

                - Configure both MTAs to use the same smtp_bind_address.

                - Configure each MTA with its own IP address and play with NAT.

                Could this be achieved with a single instance of Postfix on one host machine configured for 2+ virtual domains with the same domain name (mailer1.example.com, mailer2.example.com, etc.), or would it need to be two separate instances of Postfix running on the same host?

                Regardless, if they two MTAs used the same smtp_bind_address, wouldn't that mean that only one of them would match the host's reverse DNS lookup, and that the other would have mail rejected by remote hosts that verify the reverse IP matches the sending IP?
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Steve Jenkins:
                  > Could this be achieved with a single instance of Postfix on one
                  > host machine configured for 2+ virtual domains with the same domain
                  > name ( mailer1.example.com, mailer2.example.com, etc.), or would
                  > it need to be two separate instances of Postfix running on the
                  > same host?

                  The idea of smtp_fallback_relay is to NOT share the mail queue.

                  > Regardless, if they two MTAs used the same smtp_bind_address,
                  > wouldn't that mean that only one of them would match the host's
                  > reverse DNS lookup, and that the other would have mail rejected
                  > by remote hosts that verify the reverse IP matches the sending IP?

                  smtp_bind_address sets the SOURCE IP address.

                  Wietse
                • Rafael Azevedo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
                    > smtp_bind_address sets the SOURCE IP address.

                    Yes, but I cant have 2 servers with same smtp_bind_address

                    - Rafael
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
                      Rafael Azevedo:
                      > > smtp_bind_address sets the SOURCE IP address.
                      >
                      > Yes, but I cant have 2 servers with same smtp_bind_address

                      Yes, you can, as long as the MTAs run on the SAME HOST.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
                        Rafael Azevedo:
                        > > Yes, you can, as long as the MTAs run on the SAME HOST.
                        >
                        > Hmm.. Is there anyway we can have multiple postfix instances sharing
                        > the same queue?

                        Definitely not.