Backup server

  • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2013
      i want to plan a backup postfix server for minimizing the downtime. i
      have read about MX record entry to use as backup server . but this if
      for pure postfix only in my case i will be running round cube, dovecot
      for IMAP storage. how is that possible that i just have to change the
      DNS entry and people start accessing same settings same view of round
      cube with in just 1 or 2 minutes of delay.
      is there anyone can help me? DRBD is kinda complex. just for your
      knowledge i am using local hard drive as storage not external storage.

      Thanks,
    • Robert Schetterer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2013
        Am 17.01.2013 07:59, schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
        > i want to plan a backup postfix server for minimizing the downtime. i
        > have read about MX record entry to use as backup server . but this if
        > for pure postfix only in my case i will be running round cube, dovecot
        > for IMAP storage. how is that possible that i just have to change the
        > DNS entry and people start accessing same settings same view of round
        > cube with in just 1 or 2 minutes of delay.
        > is there anyone can help me? DRBD is kinda complex. just for your
        > knowledge i am using local hard drive as storage not external storage.
        >
        > Thanks,

        dns loadbalancing does not play very well,
        so you want no traditional mx backup mailserver
        instead you want some HA Setup with all mail related stuff (
        smtp/pop3/imap/webmail ), using drbd/nfs and loadbalancer/directors are
        the way you have to go, postfix isnt the harder part for that, so better ask
        and serach for HA setup with dovecot first, i.e on dovecot list etc

        Best Regards
        MfG Robert Schetterer

        --
        [*] sys4 AG

        http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
        Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

      • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2013
          On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Robert Schetterer <rs@...> wrote:
          > Am 17.01.2013 07:59, schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
          >> i want to plan a backup postfix server for minimizing the downtime. i
          >> have read about MX record entry to use as backup server . but this if
          >> for pure postfix only in my case i will be running round cube, dovecot
          >> for IMAP storage. how is that possible that i just have to change the
          >> DNS entry and people start accessing same settings same view of round
          >> cube with in just 1 or 2 minutes of delay.
          >> is there anyone can help me? DRBD is kinda complex. just for your
          >> knowledge i am using local hard drive as storage not external storage.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>

          > dns loadbalancing does not play very well,
          > so you want no traditional mx backup mailserver
          > instead you want some HA Setup with all mail related stuff (
          > smtp/pop3/imap/webmail ), using drbd/nfs and loadbalancer/directors are
          > the way you have to go, postfix isnt the harder part for that, so better ask
          > and serach for HA setup with dovecot first, i.e on dovecot list etc

          Thanks i got your point