Re: Fiddling with smtp_fallback_relay

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 16 4:35 PM
      Steve Jenkins:
      > This is from mailer1:
      [5x 554 greeting]
      > mtain-mc05.r1000.mx.aol.com ESMTP not accepting connections
      > Jan 16 16:14:40 mailer1 postfix-aol/smtp[1732]: 97092438FFD: to=<
      > xxxxx@...>, relay=mailer2.example.com[xx.xx.xx.xx]:25, delay=7365,
      > delays=6096/1261/8.3/0.13, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as
      > 1AB9F142131)
      >
      > And then over on mailer2 I'm seeing the message to to
      > xxxxx@...(which is actually an
      > aol.com address) get delivered.
      >
      > So I guess I should change my question - it looks like mailer1 is
      > attempting to deliver to 5 AOL mail servers before passing off to the
      > relay. Any way I can make it hand off to the fallback relay with fewer
      > attempts?

      You can twiddle with smtp_mx_mumble_limit, but why bother sending
      from mailer1, when the mail is accepted only from mailer2?

      Wietse
    • Steve Jenkins
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 16 4:49 PM
        On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@...> wrote:
        Why not simply spread the newsletter load over both your outbounds to
        begin with?

        Until this week, we were using an OLD server to act as our fallback relay (graveyard) machine and nothing else, since we really couldn't lean on it that hard (or depend on it for anything mission-critical) . But we've upgraded it to one that's the exact same specs as our primary mailer, so moving forward that's probably what we'll do.

        And BTW, if you're not a spammer, don't say "double opt in".  There is
        no such thing.  Spammers invented this term.  If you are a legit sender,
        the proper term is "confirmed opt in", or "COI".

        Gotit - thanks. I am certainly NOT a spammer. Although a spammer probably wouldn't admit to being a spammer anyway... So COI it is. :)

        SteveJ
      • Steve Jenkins
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 16 4:56 PM
          On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
          You can twiddle with smtp_mx_mumble_limit, but why bother sending
          from mailer1, when the mail is accepted only from mailer2?

          I think mailer1 got blocked initially by AOL because my aol_destination_concurrency_limit, aol_destination_recipient_limit, and aol_destination_rate_delay were probably set too aggressively when we initiated the send last night. I've since cranked them down on mailer1 to match the settings of mailer2, but AOL hasn't reacted yet. We're still twiddling with those settings, too. :)

          Our PHP script we use to send the mail is currently only configured to run from mailer1, and is running right now, and we don't want to have to interrupt it to move a copy over to mailer2 and write something that keeps track of which mailer sent the newsletter to which recipients.

          Any way to use the transport maps on mailer1 to tell Postfix to use mailer2 for aol.com addresses? Then I could just change that setting, do a postfix reload, and let mailer1 "cool off" in AOL's eyes.

          Thx,

          SteveJ
        • Steve Jenkins
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 16 5:01 PM
            On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
            You can twiddle with smtp_mx_mumble_limit

            FYI - Google returns NO results (nor does the search function on Postfix.org... since it's Google-powered) for "smtp_mx_mumble_limit." Any docs on that?

            SteveJ
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 16 5:27 PM
              Steve Jenkins:
              > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
              >
              > > You can twiddle with smtp_mx_mumble_limit
              >
              > FYI - Google returns NO results (nor does the search function on
              > Postfix.org... since it's Google-powered) for "smtp_mx_mumble_limit." Any
              > docs on that?

              mumble is a wild-card.

              grep smtp_mx_ in postconf output.

              Wietse
            • Steve Jenkins
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 16 5:30 PM
                On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                mumble is a wild-card.

                grep smtp_mx_ in postconf output.

                DOH! Roger that. :)

                Also, any way to use transport in some way on mailer1 to tell Postfix to use mailer2 for aol.com addresses? I could set that temporarily for the remainder of this mailing.

                Thx,

                SteveJ
              • Steve Jenkins
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 16 7:39 PM
                  On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                  You can twiddle with smtp_mx_mumble_limit, but why bother sending
                  from mailer1, when the mail is accepted only from mailer2?

                  For those who are learning along with me, since I didn't want to leave the smtp_mx_address_limit settings at the default of 5 for all other destinations, and I already had a transport set up for a number of aol.com related domains, I added -o smtp_mx_address_limit=2 to my AOL section in master.cf, and then restarted Postfix.

                  SteveJ
                • Stan Hoeppner
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 17 3:45 AM
                    On 1/16/2013 6:49 PM, Steve Jenkins wrote:
                    > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@...>
                    > wrote:

                    >> And BTW, if you're not a spammer...

                    > Gotit - thanks. I am certainly NOT a spammer.

                    I know you're not Steve. I should have said "as you're not a spammer.."
                    instead of "if you're..."

                    --
                    Stan
                  • Steve Jenkins