Recommendations for antivirus

  • TFML
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16, 2013
      I'm running a server on average week we receive 14,000, send 19,000, and in total deferred/bounced/rejected 5,000 -- Can you guys recommend a good antivirus that will work well with postfix. Meaning efficient in processing emails without dropping them into oblivion or kill the server CPU and/or Memory? Any suggestions will be fantastic!

      Regards,
      Alvin
    • Terry Gilsenan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2013

        I recommend Amavisd-new and clam.

        ===[Disclaimer]===
        This electronic transmission, including any attachments, is confidential, may contain privileged information and should be read or retained only by the intended recipient. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Any review, dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.
        ===[End]===
      • Erwan David
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 16, 2013
          Le 16/01/2013 23:17, Terry Gilsenan a écrit :
> [...]
          You may also use clamav as a milter.
        • Ned Slider
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 16, 2013
            On 16/01/13 22:20, Erwan David wrote:
            > Le 16/01/2013 23:17, Terry Gilsenan a écrit :

            Another recommendation for ClamAV.

            As ClamAV is used predominantly in mail setups, their signature database
            seems to do fairly well against email-borne threats. Further, it's easy
            to create and add your own signatures allowing you to respond
            immediately to an outbreak rather than waiting for signatures to get
            added to official updates.
          • Jamie Griffin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
              * Ned Slider <ned@...> [2013-01-17 04:25:04 +0000]:

              clamav with Sanesecurity signatures - search google for them. easy to install.

              --
              Primary Key: 4096R/1D31DC38 2011-12-03
              Key Fingerprint: A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
                On 01/17/2013 09:25 AM, Jamie Griffin wrote:
                > * Ned Slider <ned@...> [2013-01-17 04:25:04 +0000]:

                I use a paid antivirus that runs very well with postfix : VAMS from
                www.centralcommand.com
                It also have an antispam feature but I do not use it.
              • Robert Schetterer
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Am 16.01.2013 22:55, schrieb TFML:
                  > I'm running a server on average week we receive 14,000, send 19,000, and in total deferred/bounced/rejected 5,000 -- Can you guys recommend a good antivirus that will work well with postfix. Meaning efficient in processing emails without dropping them into oblivion or kill the server CPU and/or Memory? Any suggestions will be fantastic!
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Alvin

                  clamav-milter/clamd works well here, should work without problems with
                  your small average of mail

                  Best Regards
                  MfG Robert Schetterer

                  --
                  [*] sys4 AG

                  http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
                  Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

                • DTNX Postmaster
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
                    On Jan 17, 2013, at 09:25, Jamie Griffin wrote:

                    > * Ned Slider <ned@...> [2013-01-17 04:25:04 +0000]:

                    We use ClamAV here as well with clamav-milter, although we found the
                    Sanesecurity signatures to be too strict to use for straight rejection.
                    YMMV, of course, be sure to at least test :-)

                    Cya,
                    Jona
                  • TFML
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 18, 2013
                      Thanks, I'm in the process of testing those suggested applications!

                      On Jan 17, 2013, at 7:07 AM, DTNX Postmaster <postmaster@...> wrote:

                      > On Jan 17, 2013, at 09:25, Jamie Griffin wrote:
                      >
                      >> * Ned Slider <ned@...> [2013-01-17 04:25:04 +0000]:

                    • Jeroen Geilman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                        On 01/16/2013 10:55 PM, TFML wrote:
                        > I'm running a server on average week we receive 14,000, send 19,000, and in total deferred/bounced/rejected 5,000

                        Are you certain of those numbers ?

                        For any publically-reachable MX host, the amount of spam rejected is AT
                        LEAST 10 times the amount of desirable mail accepted.

                        Over 90% of all mail is spam, sadly; this is near-universal.

                        Of course, you might be deploying a non-postfix solution as MX frontend,
                        like Barracuda, but for an exposed MX host, 14:5 Ham/Spam is an entirely
                        unbelievable ratio.

                        --
                        J.