Re: Understanding master.cf pickup daemon parameters

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 9, 2013
      Robert Moskowitz:

      > On 01/09/2013 01:13 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
      > > On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:29:31AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
      > >
      > >> I DID say that I am going to use amavisd-new along with ClamAV and
      > >> Spamassasin. Where is there a writeup of setting up pickup service
      > >> for these?
      > > When using advanced content filters with SMTP, the pickup(8) service
      > > is not used.
      >
      > Simply not used, so can be ignored? Or do I have to comment out this
      > service?

      As documented in FILTER_README, advanced content filters (of which
      amavisd-new is a common example) do not use the pickup service for
      content filter integration.

      That does not imply that you can safely comment out the pickup
      service. It merely implies that the pickup service won't be used
      by the amavisd-new content filter.

      Wietse
    • Robert Moskowitz
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 9, 2013
        On 01/09/2013 02:15 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
        > On 1/9/2013 10:29 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
        >
        >> I DID say that I am going to use amavisd-new along with ClamAV and
        >> Spamassasin. Where is there a writeup of setting up pickup service
        >> for these?
        >>
        >> Thank you.
        >>

        > The amavisd-new INSTALL and the README-postfix give detailed
        > information. Please report any omissions to the amavisd-new support
        > channel.

        Will do.

        > The pickup service is not involved in this setup and needs no
        > changes, so it's not mentioned.

        Got it. Thanks.

        > Don't confuse "not involved" with "not needed"; postfix still needs
        > the pickup service to submit local mail.
        >
        > It's easy to get confused when you read 15 different how-to
        > documents covering different products. Find one and stick with it.

        I HAVE tried to stick with one, but it has errors that I have had to
        contend with (or was really for earlier versions thus no longer
        completely right), and has a different anti-stuff setup. So I am having
        to 'unlace' some of those pieces as I work with a different how-to that
        is just on anti-stuff..

        I made 'good' notes, and have reinstalled Centos and trying again.
        Noticing things not right, so my notes were not right. So I will get
        through it again at some point, then I will reinstall again and see if I
        can get to a working system. If so, then I have everything documented
        and can start on the production build.
      • Robert Moskowitz
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 9, 2013
          On 01/09/2013 02:20 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Robert Moskowitz:

          >>> When using advanced content filters with SMTP, the pickup(8) service
          >>> is not used.
          >> Simply not used, so can be ignored? Or do I have to comment out this
          >> service?
          > As documented in FILTER_README, advanced content filters (of which
          > amavisd-new is a common example) do not use the pickup service for
          > content filter integration.
          >
          > That does not imply that you can safely comment out the pickup
          > service. It merely implies that the pickup service won't be used
          > by the amavisd-new content filter.

          Getting it. Thanks.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 9, 2013
            Le 09/01/2013 14:34, Robert Moskowitz a écrit :
            > I have read the man page and
            > http://www.postfix.org/BUILTIN_FILTER_README.html, but don't think I
            > got the why of all of it yet.
            >
            > A couple howtos I have been using as guidance have the following
            > content for master.cf
            >
            > pickup fifo n - n 60 1 pickup
            > -o content_filter=
            > -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
            >

            > I will be using Amavisd-new, ClamAV, and SpamAssassin for content
            > filtering. There are lots of other lines scattered around that are
            > specific to these filtering tools. I think I am adding these lines to
            > limit what pickup is doing as there will be other tools that will do
            > more? Is that correct?
            >
            > Thank you.

            the pickup service is used when you use the sendmail command to submit
            mail (instead of using smtp).
            many system programs (cron, logwatch ...) use the sendmail command to
            send mail to root and other accounts. and here:

            1) such programs assume a "no error" sendmail. in short, they won't
            accept a "421 try later" etc. so unless the world gets on fire, the
            sendmail command is supposed to take responsbility of the message and do
            whatever to get it delivered. the submitter won't manage a queue or
            retry etc.
            that's wat the pickup service is for. it'll retry if it can't pass the
            message to another "party". and if delivery is not possible, it'll try
            to send an error message (a bounce).

            2) some programs will send spam reports (think of a log parser...) which
            do contain spammy words etc. you wouldn't want these to be blocked by a
            content filter.

            3) after all, this is "outbound" mail. so standard spam filters aren't
            good at this game. you cannot use RBLs, and other reputation things. on
            the other hand, if you see junk you can take action. so why care of
            content filtering...
          • Robert Moskowitz
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 9, 2013
              On 01/09/2013 04:10 PM, mouss wrote:
              > Le 09/01/2013 14:34, Robert Moskowitz a écrit :
              >> I have read the man page and
              >> http://www.postfix.org/BUILTIN_FILTER_README.html, but don't think I
              >> got the why of all of it yet.
              >>
              >> A couple howtos I have been using as guidance have the following
              >> content for master.cf
              >>
              >> pickup fifo n - n 60 1 pickup
              >> -o content_filter=
              >> -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
              >>

              >> I will be using Amavisd-new, ClamAV, and SpamAssassin for content
              >> filtering. There are lots of other lines scattered around that are
              >> specific to these filtering tools. I think I am adding these lines to
              >> limit what pickup is doing as there will be other tools that will do
              >> more? Is that correct?
              >>
              >> Thank you.
              >>

              > the pickup service is used when you use the sendmail command to submit
              > mail (instead of using smtp).
              > many system programs (cron, logwatch ...) use the sendmail command to
              > send mail to root and other accounts. and here:
              >
              > 1) such programs assume a "no error" sendmail. in short, they won't
              > accept a "421 try later" etc. so unless the world gets on fire, the
              > sendmail command is supposed to take responsbility of the message and do
              > whatever to get it delivered. the submitter won't manage a queue or
              > retry etc.
              > that's wat the pickup service is for. it'll retry if it can't pass the
              > message to another "party". and if delivery is not possible, it'll try
              > to send an error message (a bounce).
              >
              > 2) some programs will send spam reports (think of a log parser...) which
              > do contain spammy words etc. you wouldn't want these to be blocked by a
              > content filter.
              >
              > 3) after all, this is "outbound" mail. so standard spam filters aren't
              > good at this game. you cannot use RBLs, and other reputation things. on
              > the other hand, if you see junk you can take action. so why care of
              > content filtering...

              Thank you for the excellent bit of education.
            • John Allen
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
                I sympathize with you.
                i found that one of the best fairly agnostic how-tos is the one by Jeffery Posluns which can be found here or can be reached from the Postfix Docs site.

                JohnA

                --

                Today's mighty Oak is yesterday's nut that held it's ground. - Margaret Bailey

                Sent using Mozilla Thunderbird