Re: destination_rate_delay and connection_reuse_time_limit

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 74 , Jan 8, 2013
      Am 09.01.2013 02:57, schrieb Viktor Dukhovni:
      > On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 10:02:31PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
      >
      >> Am 08.01.2013 21:40, schrieb Wietse Venema:
      >>> My conclusion is that Postfix can continue to provide basic policies
      >>> that avoid worst-case failure modes, but the choice of the settings
      >>> that control those policies is better left to the operator. If the
      >>> receiver slams on the brakes, then Postfix can suspend deliveries,
      >>> but the sender operator will have to adjust the sending rate.
      >>
      >> exactly this is the point
      >>
      >> thank you for your understanding and thoughts!
      >
      > Suspending delivery and punting all messages from the active queue
      > for the designated nexthop is not a winning strategy. In this state
      > mail delivery to the destination is in most cases unlikely to
      > recover without manual intervention.

      it is in the usecase of a DEDICATED newsletter relay
      why should it not recover?

      the request was "after 20 temp fails to the same destination
      retry the next delivers to THIS destination FIVE MINUTES later"

      > I would posit that neither Reindl nor the OP, or that many others
      > really understand what they are asking for. If they understood,
      > they would stop asking for it.

      i would posit you do not understand the usecase

      > When faced with a destination that imposes tight rate limits you
      > must pre-configure your MTA to always stay under the limits. Nothing
      > good happens when the Postfix output rate under load exceeds the
      > remote limit whether you throttle the queue repeatedly or not

      smtp_destination_recipient_limit = 15
      smtp_initial_destination_concurrency = 2
      smtp_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
      smtp_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit = 5
      smtp_destination_rate_delay = 1

      so what should one do more?
      the sending machine is whitelisted at the ISP
      but the whitelisting does not affect rate-limits

      and yes we do not care if a newsletter has reached every RCPT
      two hours later but we do care for reputation and not exceed
      rate limits of large ISP's
      Message 74 of 74 , Jan 9, 2013
        Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE:
        > > When all greetings fail with 4xx or whatever then Postfix will
        > > suspend deliveries.
        >
        > I have no idea about what I'm doing wrong, this really doesn't
        > happen in my servers.

        No it doesn't. Postfix logs "delivery temporarily suspended" and
        skips Yahoo until the "dead host" timer expires.