Re: destination_rate_delay and connection_reuse_time_limit

    Message 1 of 74 , Jan 8, 2013
      Viktor Dukhovni:
      > On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 02:39:17PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > > Viktor Dukhovni:

      > > > Such a feedback mechanism is a sure-fire recipe for congestive
      > > > collapse:

      Given that sites will tempfail a delivery attempt to signal a "stay
      away" condition, it makes sense to provide an option for bulkmailers
      to treat those responses accordingly. That does not mean that this
      option will be sufficient to solve all mail delivery problems. Some
      parts will require human intervention.

      The "stay away" condition is similar to "failure to connect", except
      that one might want to use different timers. With "failure to
      connect" the timer choice depends more on sender preferences, while
      with "failure to deliver" the timer choice would depend more on the
      destination.

      Coming to the issue of receiver's limits: when receivers slam hard
      on the brakes, I don't see how Postfix could automatically tune the
      delivery rate (as a fictitious example, suppose that a transgression
      results in a 30-minute penalty during which no mail will be accepted
      from the client IP address).

      My conclusion is that Postfix can continue to provide basic policies
      that avoid worst-case failure modes, but the choice of the settings
      that control those policies is better left to the operator. If the
      receiver slams on the brakes, then Postfix can suspend deliveries,
      but the sender operator will have to adjust the sending rate.

      Message 74 of 74 , Jan 9, 2013
        Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE:
        > > When all greetings fail with 4xx or whatever then Postfix will
        > > suspend deliveries.
        >
        > I have no idea about what I'm doing wrong, this really doesn't
        > happen in my servers.

        No it doesn't. Postfix logs "delivery temporarily suspended" and
        skips Yahoo until the "dead host" timer expires.