Re: destination_rate_delay and connection_reuse_time_limit

  • Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE
    Message 1 of 74 , Jan 8, 2013
      Em 08/01/2013, às 14:21, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> escreveu:

      > Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE:
      >> Why keep trying when we have a clear signal of a temporary error?
      >
      > As Victor noted Postfix does not keep trying the SAME delivery.

      Yes you're right and I know that. But it keeps trying for another recipients in the same domain.

      Lets just say Yahoo starts blocking because of unusual traffic. Yahoo will keep telling "me" to try again later. In the mean time, new emails to be sent arrives and we never get the change to get unblocked.

      So postfix gets the next yahoo recipient and try to deliver without considering that yahoo does not want us to keep trying for a while.

      This is just an example. We don't have problem delivering to Yahoo, but to smaller providers.

      > Instead, Postfix tries to deliver a DIFFERENT message. It would be
      > incorrect IN THE GENERAL CASE to postpone ALL deliveries to a site
      > just because FIVE recipients were unavailable.

      Thats why it would be interesting to have a way to configure that. Lets say we have 100 deferred messages in sequence. Why keep trying? This way we loose time and processing, and have no way to improve reputation since we don't stop bugging them after they tell us to stop for a while.

      > Wietse

      Anyway, it doesn't seem to be possible to do this.

      Thanks guys.

      Rafael.
      Message 74 of 74 , Jan 9, 2013
        Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE:
        > > When all greetings fail with 4xx or whatever then Postfix will
        > > suspend deliveries.
        >
        > I have no idea about what I'm doing wrong, this really doesn't
        > happen in my servers.

        No it doesn't. Postfix logs "delivery temporarily suspended" and
        skips Yahoo until the "dead host" timer expires.