Re: destination_rate_delay and connection_reuse_time_limit

    Message 1 of 74 , Jan 8, 2013
      On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 01:59:14PM -0200, Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE wrote:

      > But Witse, would you agree with me that error 4XX is (in general
      > cases) a temporary error?

      It is a temporary error for *that* recipient. It is not a global
      indication that the site is temporary unreachable. Nor is there
      any indication how long one should wait, nor that waiting will make
      things any better.

      Generally, delaying deliver *increases* congestion, since more mail
      arrives in the mean-time, and once delivery resumes the volume is
      even higher.

      > Why keep trying when we have a clear signal of a temporary error?

      Postfix does not "keep trying", it defers the message in question
      and moves on to the next one. Your mental model of email queue
      management is too naive.

      This is a very difficult problem, and there is no simple answer.

      > Also, if we had a temporary error control (number of deferred
      > messages by recipient), it would be easy to identify when postfix
      > should stop trying at least for a while.

      Given an arrival rate of ~50k msgs/day, you need to send at least
      1 msg/sec to avoid growing an infinitely large queue. This is basic
      arithmetic. Gowing slower does not work, your queue grows without
      bound.

      Let the recipients know that if they want to continue to receive
      your email they should choose a new provider that is willing to
      work with legitimate senders to resolve mail delivery issues. Then
      stop sending them email.

      Message 74 of 74 , Jan 9, 2013
        Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE:
        > > When all greetings fail with 4xx or whatever then Postfix will
        > > suspend deliveries.
        >
        > I have no idea about what I'm doing wrong, this really doesn't
        > happen in my servers.

        No it doesn't. Postfix logs "delivery temporarily suspended" and
        skips Yahoo until the "dead host" timer expires.