Re: destination_rate_delay and connection_reuse_time_limit

  • Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE
    Message 1 of 74 , Jan 8, 2013
      But Witsei, would you agree with me that error 4XX is (in general cases) a temporary error?

      Why keep trying when we have a clear signal of a temporary error?

      Also, if we had a temporary error control (number of deferred messages by recipient), it would be easy to identify when postfix should stop trying at least for a while.

      Att.
      --
      Rafael Azevedo | IAGENTE
      Fone: 51 3086.0262

      Em 08/01/2013, às 13:34, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> escreveu:

      Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE:
      I truly believe that postfix is the best MTA ever, but you might
      agree with me that when the receiver start blocking the sender,
      its worthless to keep trying to deliver.

      1) Postfix will back off when the TCP or SMTP handshake fails. This
      is a clear signal that a site is unavailable.

      2) Postfix will not back off after [54]XX in the middle of a session.
      IN THE GENERAL CASE this does not mean that the receiver is blocking
      the sender, and backing off would be the wrong strategy.

      Message 74 of 74 , Jan 9, 2013
        Rafael Azevedo - IAGENTE:
        > > When all greetings fail with 4xx or whatever then Postfix will
        > > suspend deliveries.
        >
        > I have no idea about what I'm doing wrong, this really doesn't
        > happen in my servers.

        No it doesn't. Postfix logs "delivery temporarily suspended" and
        skips Yahoo until the "dead host" timer expires.