Re: Unable to authenticate

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
      On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:09:26 -0600
      Noel Jones articulated:

      > On 1/7/2013 12:32 PM, Gerard Seibert wrote:
      > > My installation of Postfix has been running without a problem for
      > > over two years. Suddenly it refused to accept mail from my MUA
      > > "Claws-Mail." This is the output of the claws mail log:

      > > [13:20:00] ESMTP< 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
      > > [13:20:00] ESMTP< 250-AUTH=CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
      >
      > OK, AUTH is offered with CRAM-MD5 and others.
      >
      > > [13:20:00] ESMTP> AUTH CRAM-MD5
      > > [13:20:00] ESMTP< 334
      > > PDYzNzUyMDA4NC4xNTQwNTYwMEBzY29ycGlvLnNlaWJlcmNvbS5uZXQ+
      >
      > The client tries to AUTH with CRAM-MD5...
      >
      > > [13:20:00] ESMTP< 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: no
      > > mechanism available. For assistance, please provide the following
      > > information in your problem report: time (Jan 07 13:20:00), client
      > > (76.182.104.150) and server (scorpio.seibercom.net).
      >
      > ... but CRAM-MD5 is broken. This looks like some sort of problem in
      > the SASL backend.
      >

      > > ~ $ postconf -n
      > > dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
      >
      > Looks as if you're using Dovecot.
      >
      > > smtp_sasl_type = cyrus
      >
      > You've defined cyrus for outgoing SASL. That's probably OK since
      > dovecot doesn't provide outgoing SASL.
      >
      > > smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
      > > permit_sasl_authenticated defer_unauth_destination
      >
      > Appears you're using a recent postfix snapshot. Obviously some
      > things have changed in the last 2 years, so "suddenly stopped
      > working" isn't entirely accurate.
      >
      > > smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      > > smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
      > > smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
      > > smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
      > > smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
      > > smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
      > > smtpd_tls_CAfile = /usr/local/etc/postfix/certs/cacert.pem
      >
      > I don't see smtpd_sasl_type listed. The default type is cyrus. Is
      > that what you intend? Looks as if you're using dovecot elsewhere.

      I discovered the problem. One of my soon to be EX associates updated
      some applications on the machine last night. One of them being
      cyrus-sasl2 port. They failed to compile either mysql or bdb support
      into the program. Once I became aware of the problem I simple
      recompiled the port and now all is well with the world again.

      --
      Jerry ✌
      postfix-user@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
        On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 02:34:07PM -0500, Jerry wrote:
        > On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:09:26 -0600
        > Noel Jones articulated:
        >
        > > On 1/7/2013 12:32 PM, Gerard Seibert wrote:
        [postconf -n]
        > > I don't see smtpd_sasl_type listed. The default type is cyrus.
        > > Is that what you intend? Looks as if you're using dovecot
        > > elsewhere.
        >
        > I discovered the problem. One of my soon to be EX associates
        > updated some applications on the machine last night. One of them
        > being cyrus-sasl2 port. They failed to compile either mysql or bdb
        > support into the program. Once I became aware of the problem I
        > simple recompiled the port and now all is well with the world
        > again.

        I would not say ALL is well. If you're using Dovecot IMAP, it makes
        no sense at all not to use Dovecot SASL.