Re: Question about supporting EAI in postfix

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
      Abdulrahman I. ALGhadir:
      > Dear all,
      >
      > I would like to ask the staff of postfix if they are planning
      > (working) or supporting EAI (http://tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/) in the
      > feature versions?

      You can already send email TEXT in any characterset that you like.
      You just can't use 8-bit email addresses until UTF8SMTP support is
      implemented on a global scale.

      Postfix will eventually support UTF8SMTP. For comparison, the
      implementation of MIME and DSN support (notably absent in some open
      source MTAs) was completed in the course of multiple annual development
      cycles, when I had more time to work on Postfix.

      Wietse
    • Jose Borges Ferreira
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
        After reading this email i was under the impression that Postfix wont
        deal with UTF8 email addresses and made the test to check it out.
        Test was made with Postfix Version: 2.9.3-2~12.04.4 ( default config
        included in Ubuntu server 12.04)

        220 lab10.anubis.via ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
        HELO lab16
        250 lab10
        MAIL FROM: <>
        250 2.1.0 Ok
        RCPT TO: <josé@lab10>
        250 2.1.5 Ok
        DATA
        354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
        Subject: teste 123

        Helooo!
        .
        250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as EA666700677
        QUIT
        221 2.0.0 Bye

        Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( josé ) be
        forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

        José Borges Ferreira

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
          Jose Borges Ferreira:
          [about sending 8-bit envelope into non-UTF8SMTP MTA]

          > Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( jos? ) be
          > forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

          Postfix currently does not announce UTF8SMTP support. Therefore, a
          client that sends 8-bit addresses violates SMTP. Just like a client
          that sends 8-bit message content without negotiating 8BITMIME.

          The behavior for out-of-spec input is undefined. Postfix will
          usually try to deliver it as is (and can often be configgured to
          reject it). I can promise only that out-of-spec input will not
          result in a security exploit in Postfix itself.

          To reject 8-bit addresses you'd need a PRCE or REGEXP pattern.

          Cleaning up 8-bit addresses belongs in the client; it should not
          send 8-bit addresses unless the server announces support for that.