RE: Question about supporting EAI in postfix

  • Abdulrahman I. ALGhadir
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
      Also I have found here
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_Address_Internationalization#Internationalization

      "Internationalization Support

      Modified versions of sendmail and postfix exist that support the proposed EAI rules. Google has limited support for the earlier experimental RFC"

      As stated here there is a postfix version that support it?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
        Abdulrahman I. ALGhadir:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > I would like to ask the staff of postfix if they are planning
        > (working) or supporting EAI (http://tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/) in the
        > feature versions?

        You can already send email TEXT in any characterset that you like.
        You just can't use 8-bit email addresses until UTF8SMTP support is
        implemented on a global scale.

        Postfix will eventually support UTF8SMTP. For comparison, the
        implementation of MIME and DSN support (notably absent in some open
        source MTAs) was completed in the course of multiple annual development
        cycles, when I had more time to work on Postfix.

        Wietse
      • Jose Borges Ferreira
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
          After reading this email i was under the impression that Postfix wont
          deal with UTF8 email addresses and made the test to check it out.
          Test was made with Postfix Version: 2.9.3-2~12.04.4 ( default config
          included in Ubuntu server 12.04)

          220 lab10.anubis.via ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
          HELO lab16
          250 lab10
          MAIL FROM: <>
          250 2.1.0 Ok
          RCPT TO: <josé@lab10>
          250 2.1.5 Ok
          DATA
          354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
          Subject: teste 123

          Helooo!
          .
          250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as EA666700677
          QUIT
          221 2.0.0 Bye

          Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( josé ) be
          forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

          José Borges Ferreira

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
            Jose Borges Ferreira:
            [about sending 8-bit envelope into non-UTF8SMTP MTA]

            > Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( jos? ) be
            > forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

            Postfix currently does not announce UTF8SMTP support. Therefore, a
            client that sends 8-bit addresses violates SMTP. Just like a client
            that sends 8-bit message content without negotiating 8BITMIME.

            The behavior for out-of-spec input is undefined. Postfix will
            usually try to deliver it as is (and can often be configgured to
            reject it). I can promise only that out-of-spec input will not
            result in a security exploit in Postfix itself.

            To reject 8-bit addresses you'd need a PRCE or REGEXP pattern.

            Cleaning up 8-bit addresses belongs in the client; it should not
            send 8-bit addresses unless the server announces support for that.