RE: Question about supporting EAI in postfix

  • Abdulrahman I. ALGhadir
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
      The EAI group covers many parts one of them SMTP (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6531). So basically this rfc covers the MTA part.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: owner-postfix-users@... [mailto:owner-postfix-users@...] On Behalf Of Leonardo Rodrigues
      Sent: 7/Jan/2013 3:04 PM
      To: postfix-users@...
      Subject: Re: Question about supporting EAI in postfix

      on a quick reading on the drafts, it seems to deal with CLIENT specifications ... example:

      This document provides guidelines for __email clients__ that support
      these specifications for Email Address Internationalization (EAI). It
      does not introduce any protocol extensions that are not defined in

      postfix is not an email CLIENT, it's a Mail Transport Agent (MTA)

      --

      Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
      Leonardo Rodrigues

      gertrudes@...
      My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

      Disclaimer:
      This message and its attachment, if any, are confidential and may contain legally
      privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
      sender immediately and delete this message and its attachment, if any, from your
      system. You should not copy this message or disclose its contents to any other
      person or use it for any purpose. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail
      are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Communications
      and Information Technology Commission (CITC). CITC accepts no liability for damage
      caused by this email.
    • Abdulrahman I. ALGhadir
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
        Also I have found here
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_Address_Internationalization#Internationalization

        "Internationalization Support

        Modified versions of sendmail and postfix exist that support the proposed EAI rules. Google has limited support for the earlier experimental RFC"

        As stated here there is a postfix version that support it?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
          Abdulrahman I. ALGhadir:
          > Dear all,
          >
          > I would like to ask the staff of postfix if they are planning
          > (working) or supporting EAI (http://tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/) in the
          > feature versions?

          You can already send email TEXT in any characterset that you like.
          You just can't use 8-bit email addresses until UTF8SMTP support is
          implemented on a global scale.

          Postfix will eventually support UTF8SMTP. For comparison, the
          implementation of MIME and DSN support (notably absent in some open
          source MTAs) was completed in the course of multiple annual development
          cycles, when I had more time to work on Postfix.

          Wietse
        • Jose Borges Ferreira
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
            After reading this email i was under the impression that Postfix wont
            deal with UTF8 email addresses and made the test to check it out.
            Test was made with Postfix Version: 2.9.3-2~12.04.4 ( default config
            included in Ubuntu server 12.04)

            220 lab10.anubis.via ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
            HELO lab16
            250 lab10
            MAIL FROM: <>
            250 2.1.0 Ok
            RCPT TO: <josé@lab10>
            250 2.1.5 Ok
            DATA
            354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
            Subject: teste 123

            Helooo!
            .
            250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as EA666700677
            QUIT
            221 2.0.0 Bye

            Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( josé ) be
            forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

            José Borges Ferreira

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
              Jose Borges Ferreira:
              [about sending 8-bit envelope into non-UTF8SMTP MTA]

              > Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( jos? ) be
              > forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

              Postfix currently does not announce UTF8SMTP support. Therefore, a
              client that sends 8-bit addresses violates SMTP. Just like a client
              that sends 8-bit message content without negotiating 8BITMIME.

              The behavior for out-of-spec input is undefined. Postfix will
              usually try to deliver it as is (and can often be configgured to
              reject it). I can promise only that out-of-spec input will not
              result in a security exploit in Postfix itself.

              To reject 8-bit addresses you'd need a PRCE or REGEXP pattern.

              Cleaning up 8-bit addresses belongs in the client; it should not
              send 8-bit addresses unless the server announces support for that.