Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: using the character @ in the local part

    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 3, 2013
      Michael Blessenohl:
      >Please try again using the telnet command on a different machine
      >than localhost(br(span style="font-family:Prelude, Verdana,

      Please stop sending HTML-only posts to a mailing list.
      That is bad etiquette.

      After:

      # postconf "resolve_dequoted_address = no"
      # postfix reload

      I get the same result no matter if I use localhost or the machine
      name itself, simply because both are listed in mydestination.

      % telnet hostname smtp
      Trying 9.X.X.248...
      Connected to hostname.watson.ibm.com.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      220 hostname.watson.ibm.com ESMTP Postfix
      mail from:<wietse>
      250 2.1.0 Ok
      rcpt to:<"@"@...>
      250 2.1.5 Ok

      Hostname and IP address information slightly altered.

      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 4, 2013
        Michael Blessenohl:
        > The security issue is, as far as I understand, that a backup MX uses an
        > @ in the local part for internal purposes. Which, in theory, can be
        > exploited to use the server as open relay. As long as I don't use a
        > backup MX, I don't have an open relay and everything is fine, isn't it?

        Come on, don't be so naive. The backup MX scenario is an EXAMPLE
        of how @ in local-part can result in trouble. The same problem may
        happen in ANY piece of software that decisions based on the content
        of an email address.