AW: Re: AW: Re: using the character @ in the local part

  • Michael Blessenohl
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 3, 2013
      Please try again using the telnet command on a different machine than localhost.

      On localhost I get the same result as you.

      Am 03.01.2013 17:45 schrieb Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:

      Michael Blessenohl:

      Your test was invalid.

      hostname# postconf resolve_dequoted_address=no
      hostname# postfix reload
      postfix/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
      hostname# telnet locahost smtp
      Trying 127.0.0.1...
      Connected to localhost.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      220 hostname.example.com ESMTP Postfix
      mail from:<wietse>
      250 2.1.0 Ok
      rcpt to:<"@"@localhost>
      250 2.1.5 Ok

      On my system the local delivery agent translates this "postmaster".
      I could look into that later when I have time, but I suggest that
      you refrain from using special characters in address local-parts.

      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 4, 2013
        Michael Blessenohl:
        > The security issue is, as far as I understand, that a backup MX uses an
        > @ in the local part for internal purposes. Which, in theory, can be
        > exploited to use the server as open relay. As long as I don't use a
        > backup MX, I don't have an open relay and everything is fine, isn't it?

        Come on, don't be so naive. The backup MX scenario is an EXAMPLE
        of how @ in local-part can result in trouble. The same problem may
        happen in ANY piece of software that decisions based on the content
        of an email address.