Re: using the character @ in the local part

  • /dev/rob0
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 2, 2013
      On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 04:02:41AM +0100, Michael Blessenohl wrote:
      > I tried using an e-mail address "@"@... in postfix. When
      > I try to deliver a mail to it, postfix rejects it with the error
      > message
      >
      > 501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax (state 13)

      That's not a Postfix rejection message. Show logs & postconf -n.

      > I defined an alias, so in theory it should work. The recipient
      > address is totally valid as far as I know and as far as online
      > validators tell.

      It is valid. It is not sane, but indeed, with proper quoting as
      shown, it should work.
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 4, 2013
        Michael Blessenohl:
        > The security issue is, as far as I understand, that a backup MX uses an
        > @ in the local part for internal purposes. Which, in theory, can be
        > exploited to use the server as open relay. As long as I don't use a
        > backup MX, I don't have an open relay and everything is fine, isn't it?

        Come on, don't be so naive. The backup MX scenario is an EXAMPLE
        of how @ in local-part can result in trouble. The same problem may
        happen in ANY piece of software that decisions based on the content
        of an email address.