Re: using the character @ in the local part

  • Michael Blessenohl
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 2, 2013
      Am 03.01.2013 04:06, schrieb Reindl Harald:
      > Am 03.01.2013 04:02, schrieb Michael Blessenohl:
      >> I tried using an e-mail address "@"@... in postfix. When I try to deliver a mail to it, postfix rejects it
      >> with the error message
      >>
      >> 501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax (state 13)
      >>
      >> I defined an alias, so in theory it should work. The recipient address is totally valid as far as I know and as far
      >> as online validators tell
      > why are you try using such addresses?
      >
      > it does not matter what some validators or even any RFC says
      > special chars should not be used because ANY relay-hop has
      > to accept used senders and RCPT or your email will not get
      > delivered finally
      >
      > means: even if you can configure YOUR postfix you will
      > not be able to do it for the rest of the world
      >
      > "0-9" and "a-z" are the safe chars

      Well someone has to start implementing the standards correctly or there
      is no point in making them anyway.
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 4, 2013
        Michael Blessenohl:
        > The security issue is, as far as I understand, that a backup MX uses an
        > @ in the local part for internal purposes. Which, in theory, can be
        > exploited to use the server as open relay. As long as I don't use a
        > backup MX, I don't have an open relay and everything is fine, isn't it?

        Come on, don't be so naive. The backup MX scenario is an EXAMPLE
        of how @ in local-part can result in trouble. The same problem may
        happen in ANY piece of software that decisions based on the content
        of an email address.