Re: postfix mysql lookup table has some kind of caching?

  • Stan Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2013
      On 1/1/2013 7:33 AM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
      > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:46:03PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
      >> On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
      >>
      >>> I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)
      >>
      >> Hi Marcin,
      >>
      >> Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
      >> maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
      >> infrastructure?
      >>
      >> Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
      >> folks for this project?
      >
      > This is probably not completely on topic, but just to make sure this
      > does not turn into some kind of conspiracy theory:

      I didn't intend to imply anything nefarious. By "email blasting" I
      simply meant high volume, short duration--not spamming.

      > a) it has nothing to do with my employer whatsoever,
      > b) I'm doing it because someone I know asked me for advice,
      > c) as I said, it's not UCE-related, sending a lot of email fast does
      > have legitimate purposes
      > d) asking a postfix question on postfix-users seems like a reasonable
      > thing to me

      The reason I asked this is that Google is one of the "few big
      webmail services get a large portion" that you mentioned. Your approach
      here seems to be optimizing Postfix to "circumvent defenses". Normally
      one would sign up with these services as a bulk mailer to avoid bulk
      delivery problems. Maybe you are doing that as well but did not mention it.

      >> FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
      >> Thank you for your contributions over the years.
      >
      > Not that I contributed a whole lot, compared to some other DDs, but
      > you're welcome :-)

      Every small contribution helps. :)

      --
      Stan