Re: postfix mysql lookup table has some kind of caching?

  • Marcin Owsiany
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2013
      On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:46:03PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
      > On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
      >
      > > I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)
      >
      > Hi Marcin,
      >
      > Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
      > maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
      > infrastructure?
      >
      > Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
      > folks for this project?

      This is probably not completely on topic, but just to make sure this
      does not turn into some kind of conspiracy theory:
      a) it has nothing to do with my employer whatsoever,
      b) I'm doing it because someone I know asked me for advice,
      c) as I said, it's not UCE-related, sending a lot of email fast does
      have legitimate purposes
      d) asking a postfix question on postfix-users seems like a reasonable
      thing to me

      > FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
      > Thank you for your contributions over the years.

      Not that I contributed a whole lot, compared to some other DDs, but
      you're welcome :-)

      regards,
      --
      Marcin Owsiany <marcin@...> http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
      GnuPG: 2048R/02F946FC 35E9 1344 9F77 5F43 13DD 6423 DBF4 80C6 02F9 46FC

      "Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
      -- Unknown
    • Stan Hoeppner
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2013
        On 1/1/2013 7:33 AM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
        > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:46:03PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
        >> On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
        >>
        >>> I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)
        >>
        >> Hi Marcin,
        >>
        >> Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
        >> maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
        >> infrastructure?
        >>
        >> Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
        >> folks for this project?
        >
        > This is probably not completely on topic, but just to make sure this
        > does not turn into some kind of conspiracy theory:

        I didn't intend to imply anything nefarious. By "email blasting" I
        simply meant high volume, short duration--not spamming.

        > a) it has nothing to do with my employer whatsoever,
        > b) I'm doing it because someone I know asked me for advice,
        > c) as I said, it's not UCE-related, sending a lot of email fast does
        > have legitimate purposes
        > d) asking a postfix question on postfix-users seems like a reasonable
        > thing to me

        The reason I asked this is that Google is one of the "few big
        webmail services get a large portion" that you mentioned. Your approach
        here seems to be optimizing Postfix to "circumvent defenses". Normally
        one would sign up with these services as a bulk mailer to avoid bulk
        delivery problems. Maybe you are doing that as well but did not mention it.

        >> FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
        >> Thank you for your contributions over the years.
        >
        > Not that I contributed a whole lot, compared to some other DDs, but
        > you're welcome :-)

        Every small contribution helps. :)

        --
        Stan