Re: postfix mysql lookup table has some kind of caching?

  • Stan Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2012
      On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

      > I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)

      Hi Marcin,

      Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
      maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
      infrastructure?

      Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
      folks for this project?

      FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
      Thank you for your contributions over the years.

      --
      Stan
    • Marcin Owsiany
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2013
        On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:46:03PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
        > On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
        >
        > > I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)
        >
        > Hi Marcin,
        >
        > Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
        > maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
        > infrastructure?
        >
        > Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
        > folks for this project?

        This is probably not completely on topic, but just to make sure this
        does not turn into some kind of conspiracy theory:
        a) it has nothing to do with my employer whatsoever,
        b) I'm doing it because someone I know asked me for advice,
        c) as I said, it's not UCE-related, sending a lot of email fast does
        have legitimate purposes
        d) asking a postfix question on postfix-users seems like a reasonable
        thing to me

        > FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
        > Thank you for your contributions over the years.

        Not that I contributed a whole lot, compared to some other DDs, but
        you're welcome :-)

        regards,
        --
        Marcin Owsiany <marcin@...> http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
        GnuPG: 2048R/02F946FC 35E9 1344 9F77 5F43 13DD 6423 DBF4 80C6 02F9 46FC

        "Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
        -- Unknown
      • Stan Hoeppner
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2013
          On 1/1/2013 7:33 AM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
          > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:46:03PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
          >> On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
          >>
          >>> I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)
          >>
          >> Hi Marcin,
          >>
          >> Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
          >> maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
          >> infrastructure?
          >>
          >> Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
          >> folks for this project?
          >
          > This is probably not completely on topic, but just to make sure this
          > does not turn into some kind of conspiracy theory:

          I didn't intend to imply anything nefarious. By "email blasting" I
          simply meant high volume, short duration--not spamming.

          > a) it has nothing to do with my employer whatsoever,
          > b) I'm doing it because someone I know asked me for advice,
          > c) as I said, it's not UCE-related, sending a lot of email fast does
          > have legitimate purposes
          > d) asking a postfix question on postfix-users seems like a reasonable
          > thing to me

          The reason I asked this is that Google is one of the "few big
          webmail services get a large portion" that you mentioned. Your approach
          here seems to be optimizing Postfix to "circumvent defenses". Normally
          one would sign up with these services as a bulk mailer to avoid bulk
          delivery problems. Maybe you are doing that as well but did not mention it.

          >> FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
          >> Thank you for your contributions over the years.
          >
          > Not that I contributed a whole lot, compared to some other DDs, but
          > you're welcome :-)

          Every small contribution helps. :)

          --
          Stan