Re: postfix mysql lookup table has some kind of caching?

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2012
      Wietse:
      > 20070414
      > Cleanup: expire cached results from addres rewriting, address
      > resolution, and from transport map lookups. Results expire
      > after 30 seconds; short enough that it doesn't freak out
      > people who run the same test repeatedly, and long enough
      > that it doesn't upset other people with continuous streams
      > of "*" transport map lookups. [...]
      >
      > Now the question is are 30 seconds too much or too little.

      Marcin Owsiany:
      > Much too much in my case. The client app sends messages in batches,
      > and in 30 seconds much more than 1% of a batch will get processed,
      > especially given that the canary IP address transport will mostly
      > see fast rejections.

      In that case, a burst of 1s would still be undesirable, so one would
      have to be able to specify 0 (no caching) while the default would
      remain at 30s.

      Wietse
    • Marcin Owsiany
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 31, 2012
        On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 05:45:57PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > In that case, a burst of 1s would still be undesirable, so one would
        > have to be able to specify 0 (no caching) while the default would
        > remain at 30s.

        Right.

        I hope that disabling caching altogether would not affect performance
        too much. Perhaps it would be a per-map option, so that it would only
        affect the maps that it needs to affect?

        --
        Marcin Owsiany <marcin@...> http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
        GnuPG: 2048R/02F946FC 35E9 1344 9F77 5F43 13DD 6423 DBF4 80C6 02F9 46FC

        "Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
        -- Unknown
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 31, 2012
          Marcin Owsiany:
          > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 05:45:57PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > > In that case, a burst of 1s would still be undesirable, so one would
          > > have to be able to specify 0 (no caching) while the default would
          > > remain at 30s.
          >
          > Right.
          >
          > I hope that disabling caching altogether would not affect performance
          > too much. Perhaps it would be a per-map option, so that it would only
          > affect the maps that it needs to affect?

          Caching is mostly a client feature. A client doesn't care what
          tables a server is using.

          Wietse
        • Stan Hoeppner
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 31, 2012
            On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

            > I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)

            Hi Marcin,

            Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
            maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
            infrastructure?

            Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
            folks for this project?

            FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
            Thank you for your contributions over the years.

            --
            Stan
          • Marcin Owsiany
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2013
              On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:46:03PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
              > On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
              >
              > > I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)
              >
              > Hi Marcin,
              >
              > Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
              > maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
              > infrastructure?
              >
              > Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
              > folks for this project?

              This is probably not completely on topic, but just to make sure this
              does not turn into some kind of conspiracy theory:
              a) it has nothing to do with my employer whatsoever,
              b) I'm doing it because someone I know asked me for advice,
              c) as I said, it's not UCE-related, sending a lot of email fast does
              have legitimate purposes
              d) asking a postfix question on postfix-users seems like a reasonable
              thing to me

              > FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
              > Thank you for your contributions over the years.

              Not that I contributed a whole lot, compared to some other DDs, but
              you're welcome :-)

              regards,

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 1, 2013
                On 1/1/2013 7:33 AM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
                > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:46:03PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
                >> On 12/31/2012 3:06 PM, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
                >>
                >>> I imagine this might sound like a spam sending service, but it's not :-)
                >>
                >> Hi Marcin,
                >>
                >> Q1: Why is a Google Site Reliability Engineer and long time Debian
                >> maintainer, with two Masters degrees, working on an email blasting
                >> infrastructure?
                >>
                >> Q2: Why are you not leveraging the expertise of the Google messaging
                >> folks for this project?
                >
                > This is probably not completely on topic, but just to make sure this
                > does not turn into some kind of conspiracy theory:

                I didn't intend to imply anything nefarious. By "email blasting" I
                simply meant high volume, short duration--not spamming.

                > a) it has nothing to do with my employer whatsoever,
                > b) I'm doing it because someone I know asked me for advice,
                > c) as I said, it's not UCE-related, sending a lot of email fast does
                > have legitimate purposes
                > d) asking a postfix question on postfix-users seems like a reasonable
                > thing to me

                The reason I asked this is that Google is one of the "few big
                webmail services get a large portion" that you mentioned. Your approach
                here seems to be optimizing Postfix to "circumvent defenses". Normally
                one would sign up with these services as a bulk mailer to avoid bulk
                delivery problems. Maybe you are doing that as well but did not mention it.

                >> FYI, my first Linux was Potato and I've been Debian ever since. :)
                >> Thank you for your contributions over the years.
                >
                > Not that I contributed a whole lot, compared to some other DDs, but
                > you're welcome :-)

                Every small contribution helps. :)

                --
                Stan