Re: Out Of Office Responders

  • Bill Cole
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
      On 29 Dec 2012, at 8:33, Tim Smith wrote:

      > I am looking to incorporate some "Out Of Office" functionality with my
      > dovecot/postfix set up. I need this to work with a variety of email
      > clients if those clients support that functionality. Ideally, it would
      > work "out of teh box" much in the same way that Outlook sets the "Out
      > Of Office" message but I think this works because it may be a a MS
      > Exchange server providing that functionality.

      Please do the world a favor and DON'T do this in the brain-dead way
      Exchange does. 100% of my messages to mailing lists in the past 2 weeks
      have received one or more out-of-office replies from list members with
      shoddily managed mail systems, i.e. default Outlook/Exchange without
      external controls over the chronic MS misbehaviors. I expect that this
      message will trigger at least one such "helpful" notice. Also keep in
      mind: mail forgery is trivial and identification of mailing list traffic
      is unreliable. Sending OOO autoreplies outside of your own domain(s)
      will eventually include sending some that someone will regret.

      A mail system configured in a security-conscious manner will be very
      selective and cautious about sending OOO auto-replies. The naive
      Outlook/Exchange norm can provide useful insights on the
      vacation/attention schedules of users without forcing the curious
      investigator to talk to a human or provide any justification for being
      privy to such information. Users offered such a feature should be warned
      that they should not put anything in an OOO autoreply that they would
      not want shared with competitors and burglars. I have seen cases of
      members of each of those groups using careless OOO autoreplies to their
      profit.