Out Of Office Responders

  • Tim Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
      Had a quick look around on Google for this but no definitive answer. I
      am looking to incorporate some "Out Of Office" functionality with my
      dovecot/postfix set up. I need this to work with a variety of email
      clients if those clients support that functionality. Ideally, it would
      work "out of teh box" much in the same way that Outlook sets the "Out Of
      Office" message but I think this works because it may be a a MS Exchange
      server providing that functionality.

      I notice that postfix comes with a program called "vacation". Is this
      something that can be configured by the client?
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
        Tim Smith:
        > I notice that postfix comes with a program called "vacation". Is this
        > something that can be configured by the client?

        Consider using a Sieve-enabled IMAP server with Sieve-enabled
        clients.

        vacation, not part of Postfix, is for UNIX system accounts.

        Wietse
      • Tim Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
          Hi Wietse,

          Thanks for the response.

          Using Dovecot which is Sieve enabled so no problem there. I also found a
          list of Sieve enabled clients <http://sieve.info/clients> but can't see
          that Outlook or any MS products are available there. My clients are
          usually porting their email services (which are invariably MS
          compatible) across to my servers so need to offer this in a seamless
          fashion. Is this do-able?

          Thanks,

          Tim

          On 29/12/12 13:55, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Tim Smith:
          >> I notice that postfix comes with a program called "vacation". Is this
          >> something that can be configured by the client?
          > Consider using a Sieve-enabled IMAP server with Sieve-enabled
          > clients.
          >
          > vacation, not part of Postfix, is for UNIX system accounts.
          >
          > Wietse
        • Bradley Giesbrecht
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
            On Dec 29, 2012, at 7:08 AM, Tim Smith wrote:

            > Using Dovecot which is Sieve enabled so no problem there. I also found a list of Sieve enabled clients <http://sieve.info/clients> but can't see that Outlook or any MS products are available there. My clients are usually porting their email services (which are invariably MS compatible) across to my servers so need to offer this in a seamless fashion. Is this do-able?

            I don't know. You can fall back to managing sieve with Roundcube managesieve plugin. The Roundcube password plugin is nice too.

            --
            Brad
          • Patrick Lists
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
              On 12/29/2012 04:08 PM, Tim Smith wrote:
              > Hi Wietse,
              >
              > Thanks for the response.
              >
              > Using Dovecot which is Sieve enabled so no problem there. I also found a
              > list of Sieve enabled clients <http://sieve.info/clients> but can't see
              > that Outlook or any MS products are available there. My clients are
              > usually porting their email services (which are invariably MS
              > compatible) across to my servers so need to offer this in a seamless
              > fashion. Is this do-able?

              For Outlook compatible solutions perhaps Zarafa or Zimbra is an option?
              Both Groupware solutions support Microsoft Outlook and Out of Office
              responders and afaik both use Postfix as MTA.

              Regards,
              Patrick
            • Bill Cole
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
                On 29 Dec 2012, at 8:33, Tim Smith wrote:

                > I am looking to incorporate some "Out Of Office" functionality with my
                > dovecot/postfix set up. I need this to work with a variety of email
                > clients if those clients support that functionality. Ideally, it would
                > work "out of teh box" much in the same way that Outlook sets the "Out
                > Of Office" message but I think this works because it may be a a MS
                > Exchange server providing that functionality.

                Please do the world a favor and DON'T do this in the brain-dead way
                Exchange does. 100% of my messages to mailing lists in the past 2 weeks
                have received one or more out-of-office replies from list members with
                shoddily managed mail systems, i.e. default Outlook/Exchange without
                external controls over the chronic MS misbehaviors. I expect that this
                message will trigger at least one such "helpful" notice. Also keep in
                mind: mail forgery is trivial and identification of mailing list traffic
                is unreliable. Sending OOO autoreplies outside of your own domain(s)
                will eventually include sending some that someone will regret.

                A mail system configured in a security-conscious manner will be very
                selective and cautious about sending OOO auto-replies. The naive
                Outlook/Exchange norm can provide useful insights on the
                vacation/attention schedules of users without forcing the curious
                investigator to talk to a human or provide any justification for being
                privy to such information. Users offered such a feature should be warned
                that they should not put anything in an OOO autoreply that they would
                not want shared with competitors and burglars. I have seen cases of
                members of each of those groups using careless OOO autoreplies to their
                profit.