Re: RoundCube vs squirrelmail (pros and cons)

  • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
      On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM, mouss <mouss@...> wrote:
      > Le 27/12/2012 22:16, Benny Pedersen a écrit :
      >> mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
      >>
      >>> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
      >>
      >> +1
      >>
      >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
      >>
      >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
      >
      > well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
      > browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
      > bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
      > of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

      your statement just confuses me, do you mean threats like brute-force,
      man-in-the-middle or you are talking about the mistake that people
      usually make by saving their password in browser?
      i mean how come password theft is possible in roundcube or squirrelmail ?

      or did you mean in general?

      >>> and this is independent of which solution you use.
      >>
      >> +1

    • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
        On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@...> wrote:
        > On 12/27/2012 12:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
        >> i want a web interface for our email access.
        >> To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail (look
        >> wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features if there
        >> are any in squirrelmail.
        >> so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
        >> would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
        >> good/better/stable to use?
        >
        > Have you looked at SoGo? Advanced Ajax interface, with right click
        > context sensitive drop downs, drag & drop, etc, like a normal desktop
        > mail client. It's not just webmail but a full groupware server like MS
        > Exchange. Full LDAP support, shared calenders, etc. In addition to the
        > web interface it supports fat Thunderbird/Lightning and Outlook clients.
        > It also supports Android/iPhone/Blackberry. Includes an admin plugin
        > for Webmin. In short it's very feature rich. The one downside is that
        > it requires more system resources on both the client and server, but
        > with modern hardware this shouldn't be an issue.
        >
        > http://www.sogo.nu/

        Thanks, i have been through with this ( i mean an overview) but what i
        am interested in is combining together all the elements by my self.
        its kinda fun and it will give me the opportunity to learn more. and i
        love when i type commands in black and white (X console) of Linux and
        my manager and people around watching me that i am doing some kind of
        a black magic :P

        > --
        > Stan

      • KSB
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
          On 2012.12.27. 23:16, Benny Pedersen wrote:
          > mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
          >
          >> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
          >
          > +1

          I also prefer RC, but SquirrelMail is very easy to setup and very robust.

          >> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
          >
          > webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
          >
          >> and this is independent of which solution you use.
          >
          > +1

          For user and password in RC autocomplete is turned off (in html level)
          by default, this probably helps a *little* bit.

          Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar
          support?
          --
          KSB
        • Bradley Giesbrecht
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
            On Dec 28, 2012, at 4:42 AM, KSB wrote:

            > On 2012.12.27. 23:16, Benny Pedersen wrote:
            >> mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
            >>
            >>> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
            >>
            >> +1
            >>
            > I also prefer RC, but SquirrelMail is very easy to setup and very robust.
            >

            >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
            >>
            >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
            >>
            >>> and this is independent of which solution you use.
            >>
            >> +1
            >>

            > For user and password in RC autocomplete is turned off (in html level) by default, this probably helps a *little* bit.
            >
            > Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar support?

            For Vacation and Sieve there is the MangageSieve plugin:
            plugins/managesieve

            --
            Brad
          • KSB
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
              On 2012.12.28. 19:23, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

              >> Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar support?
              >
              > For Vacation and Sieve there is the MangageSieve plugin:
              > plugins/managesieve
              >
              > --
              > Brad

              Probably it gets off-list now... but this plugin is w/o calendar :(

              --
              KSB
            • Benny Pedersen
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012