Re: RoundCube vs squirrelmail (pros and cons)

  • Eero Volotinen
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
      >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
      >>
      >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
      >
      > well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
      > browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
      > bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
      > of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

      how about using two factor or one time passwords on email?

      https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/yubikey/

      --
      Eero
    • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
        On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM, mouss <mouss@...> wrote:
        > Le 27/12/2012 22:16, Benny Pedersen a écrit :
        >> mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
        >>
        >>> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
        >>
        >> +1
        >>
        >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
        >>
        >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
        >
        > well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
        > browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
        > bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
        > of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

        your statement just confuses me, do you mean threats like brute-force,
        man-in-the-middle or you are talking about the mistake that people
        usually make by saving their password in browser?
        i mean how come password theft is possible in roundcube or squirrelmail ?

        or did you mean in general?

        >>> and this is independent of which solution you use.
        >>
        >> +1

      • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
          On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@...> wrote:
          > On 12/27/2012 12:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
          >> i want a web interface for our email access.
          >> To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail (look
          >> wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features if there
          >> are any in squirrelmail.
          >> so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
          >> would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
          >> good/better/stable to use?
          >
          > Have you looked at SoGo? Advanced Ajax interface, with right click
          > context sensitive drop downs, drag & drop, etc, like a normal desktop
          > mail client. It's not just webmail but a full groupware server like MS
          > Exchange. Full LDAP support, shared calenders, etc. In addition to the
          > web interface it supports fat Thunderbird/Lightning and Outlook clients.
          > It also supports Android/iPhone/Blackberry. Includes an admin plugin
          > for Webmin. In short it's very feature rich. The one downside is that
          > it requires more system resources on both the client and server, but
          > with modern hardware this shouldn't be an issue.
          >
          > http://www.sogo.nu/

          Thanks, i have been through with this ( i mean an overview) but what i
          am interested in is combining together all the elements by my self.
          its kinda fun and it will give me the opportunity to learn more. and i
          love when i type commands in black and white (X console) of Linux and
          my manager and people around watching me that i am doing some kind of
          a black magic :P

          > --
          > Stan

        • KSB
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
            On 2012.12.27. 23:16, Benny Pedersen wrote:
            > mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
            >
            >> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
            >
            > +1

            I also prefer RC, but SquirrelMail is very easy to setup and very robust.

            >> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
            >
            > webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
            >
            >> and this is independent of which solution you use.
            >
            > +1

            For user and password in RC autocomplete is turned off (in html level)
            by default, this probably helps a *little* bit.

            Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar
            support?
            --
            KSB
          • Bradley Giesbrecht
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
              On Dec 28, 2012, at 4:42 AM, KSB wrote:

              > On 2012.12.27. 23:16, Benny Pedersen wrote:
              >> mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
              >>
              >>> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
              >>
              >> +1
              >>
              > I also prefer RC, but SquirrelMail is very easy to setup and very robust.
              >

              >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
              >>
              >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
              >>
              >>> and this is independent of which solution you use.
              >>
              >> +1
              >>

              > For user and password in RC autocomplete is turned off (in html level) by default, this probably helps a *little* bit.
              >
              > Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar support?

              For Vacation and Sieve there is the MangageSieve plugin:
              plugins/managesieve

              --
              Brad
            • KSB
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
                On 2012.12.28. 19:23, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

                >> Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar support?
                >
                > For Vacation and Sieve there is the MangageSieve plugin:
                > plugins/managesieve
                >
                > --
                > Brad

                Probably it gets off-list now... but this plugin is w/o calendar :(

                --
                KSB
              • Benny Pedersen
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012