maillog - identifying port smtp, submission

  • santosh malavade
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2012
      Hi All,

      Wish you a very happy n prosperous new year.

      My mail server listens on the following ports :

      smtp 25
      submission 587

      I would like to know, how can we identify the mail received on particular port from the maillog.

      Regards,

      Santosh Malavade

    • Benny Pedersen
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2012
        santosh malavade skrev den 2012-12-28 05:59:

        > smtp 25
        > submission 587

        in master.cf set -o syslog_name=foo for the 2 services

        then in syslog its possible to split them to 2 seperate files if wanted
      • santosh malavade
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012

          > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 06:05:06 +0100
          > From: me@...
          > To: postfix-users@...
          > Subject: Re: maillog - identifying port smtp, submission
          >
          > santosh malavade skrev den 2012-12-28 05:59:
          >
          > > smtp 25
          > > submission 587
          >
          > in master.cf set -o syslog_name=foo for the 2 services

          I have been able to override the syslog_name parameter for the submission port.

          > then in syslog its possible to split them to 2 seperate files if wanted

          if possible, pls. provide example  of this.

          Thanks.

          Rgds,

          Santosh Malavade

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012
            Benny Pedersen:
            > santosh malavade skrev den 2012-12-28 05:59:
            >
            > > smtp 25
            > > submission 587
            >
            > in master.cf set -o syslog_name=foo for the 2 services
            >
            > then in syslog its possible to split them to 2 seperate files if wanted

            With vanilla syslog daemons, splitting the files might be easier
            by setting "-o syslog_facility=local1" or something similar in
            master.cf, and having a rule "local1.* /path/to/file" in
            syslog.conf.

            You MAY have to create the new logfile by hand, and you WILL have
            to update the logfile rotation procedure.