Re: RoundCube vs squirrelmail (pros and cons)

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
      Le 27/12/2012 22:16, Benny Pedersen a écrit :
      > mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
      >
      >> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
      >
      > +1
      >
      >> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
      >
      > webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?

      well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
      browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
      bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
      of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

      >> and this is independent of which solution you use.
      >
      > +1

    • Eero Volotinen
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
        >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
        >>
        >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
        >
        > well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
        > browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
        > bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
        > of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

        how about using two factor or one time passwords on email?

        https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/yubikey/

        --
        Eero
      • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
          On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM, mouss <mouss@...> wrote:
          > Le 27/12/2012 22:16, Benny Pedersen a écrit :
          >> mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
          >>
          >>> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
          >>
          >> +1
          >>
          >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
          >>
          >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
          >
          > well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
          > browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
          > bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
          > of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

          your statement just confuses me, do you mean threats like brute-force,
          man-in-the-middle or you are talking about the mistake that people
          usually make by saving their password in browser?
          i mean how come password theft is possible in roundcube or squirrelmail ?

          or did you mean in general?

          >>> and this is independent of which solution you use.
          >>
          >> +1

        • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
            On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@...> wrote:
            > On 12/27/2012 12:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
            >> i want a web interface for our email access.
            >> To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail (look
            >> wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features if there
            >> are any in squirrelmail.
            >> so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
            >> would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
            >> good/better/stable to use?
            >
            > Have you looked at SoGo? Advanced Ajax interface, with right click
            > context sensitive drop downs, drag & drop, etc, like a normal desktop
            > mail client. It's not just webmail but a full groupware server like MS
            > Exchange. Full LDAP support, shared calenders, etc. In addition to the
            > web interface it supports fat Thunderbird/Lightning and Outlook clients.
            > It also supports Android/iPhone/Blackberry. Includes an admin plugin
            > for Webmin. In short it's very feature rich. The one downside is that
            > it requires more system resources on both the client and server, but
            > with modern hardware this shouldn't be an issue.
            >
            > http://www.sogo.nu/

            Thanks, i have been through with this ( i mean an overview) but what i
            am interested in is combining together all the elements by my self.
            its kinda fun and it will give me the opportunity to learn more. and i
            love when i type commands in black and white (X console) of Linux and
            my manager and people around watching me that i am doing some kind of
            a black magic :P

            > --
            > Stan

          • KSB
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
              On 2012.12.27. 23:16, Benny Pedersen wrote:
              > mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
              >
              >> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
              >
              > +1

              I also prefer RC, but SquirrelMail is very easy to setup and very robust.

              >> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
              >
              > webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
              >
              >> and this is independent of which solution you use.
              >
              > +1

              For user and password in RC autocomplete is turned off (in html level)
              by default, this probably helps a *little* bit.

              Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar
              support?
              --
              KSB
            • Bradley Giesbrecht
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
                On Dec 28, 2012, at 4:42 AM, KSB wrote:

                > On 2012.12.27. 23:16, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                >> mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
                >>
                >>> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
                >>
                >> +1
                >>
                > I also prefer RC, but SquirrelMail is very easy to setup and very robust.
                >

                >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
                >>
                >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
                >>
                >>> and this is independent of which solution you use.
                >>
                >> +1
                >>

                > For user and password in RC autocomplete is turned off (in html level) by default, this probably helps a *little* bit.
                >
                > Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar support?

                For Vacation and Sieve there is the MangageSieve plugin:
                plugins/managesieve

                --
                Brad
              • KSB
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
                  On 2012.12.28. 19:23, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

                  >> Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar support?
                  >
                  > For Vacation and Sieve there is the MangageSieve plugin:
                  > plugins/managesieve
                  >
                  > --
                  > Brad

                  Probably it gets off-list now... but this plugin is w/o calendar :(

                  --
                  KSB
                • Benny Pedersen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012