Re: RoundCube vs squirrelmail (pros and cons)

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
      Le 27/12/2012 07:38, Muhammad Yousuf Khan a écrit :
      > i want a web interface for our email access.
      > To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail (look
      > wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features if there
      > are any in squirrelmail.
      > so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
      > would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
      > good/better/stable to use?
      >
      > Thanks,

      both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
      The real problem with webmail is password theft, and this is independent
      of which solution you use.
    • Robert Moskowitz
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
        On 12/27/2012 01:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
        > i want a web interface for our email access.
        > To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail (look
        > wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features if there
        > are any in squirrelmail.
        > so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
        > would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
        > good/better/stable to use?

        There was a recent thread on this over on the Centos list, and Roundcube
        was strongly perferred.
      • Titanus Eramius
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
          Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:00:34 -0500 skrev Robert Moskowitz
          <rgm@...>:

          > On 12/27/2012 01:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
          > > i want a web interface for our email access.
          > > To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail
          > > (look wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features
          > > if there are any in squirrelmail.
          > > so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
          > > would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
          > > good/better/stable to use?
          >
          > There was a recent thread on this over on the Centos list, and
          > Roundcube was strongly perferred.

          It seems that my search fu is low today, could I please trouble you for
          a link?

          Thanks
        • Robert Moskowitz
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
            On 12/27/2012 11:38 AM, Titanus Eramius wrote:
            > Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:00:34 -0500 skrev Robert Moskowitz
            > <rgm@...>:
            >
            >> On 12/27/2012 01:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
            >>> i want a web interface for our email access.
            >>> To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail
            >>> (look wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features
            >>> if there are any in squirrelmail.
            >>> so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
            >>> would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
            >>> good/better/stable to use?
            >> There was a recent thread on this over on the Centos list, and
            >> Roundcube was strongly perferred.
            >>

            > It seems that my search fu is low today, could I please trouble you for
            > a link?

            I see all the time people posting nice URLs to specific emails on
            various lists, but this is something that I have not tackled. I have
            been on the Centos list since Whitehat died,,, Anyway the footer of the
            emails on the list give this URL:

            Look for subject of: "web mail and Squirrelmail" and you will see
            Roundcube getting the plusses over Squirrelmail.

            Horde also gets some nods for integration to Outlook.
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
              Le 27/12/2012 17:38, Titanus Eramius a écrit :
              > Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:00:34 -0500 skrev Robert Moskowitz
              > <rgm@...>:
              >
              >> On 12/27/2012 01:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
              >>> i want a web interface for our email access.
              >>> To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail
              >>> (look wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features
              >>> if there are any in squirrelmail.
              >>> so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
              >>> would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
              >>> good/better/stable to use?
              >> There was a recent thread on this over on the Centos list, and
              >> Roundcube was strongly perferred.
              >>

              > It seems that my search fu is low today, could I please trouble you for
              > a link?

              you didn't pay your web search subscription :)
              the thread can be found on
              http://www.spinics.net/lists/centos/msg131997.html

              you can also search for "roundcube vs squirrelmail".

              and you can also read the wikipedia article
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundcube

              PS. Please remember that all this is off topic here (so, no webmail war
              please!)
            • Stan Hoeppner
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
                On 12/27/2012 12:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
                > i want a web interface for our email access.
                > To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail (look
                > wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features if there
                > are any in squirrelmail.
                > so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
                > would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
                > good/better/stable to use?

                Have you looked at SoGo? Advanced Ajax interface, with right click
                context sensitive drop downs, drag & drop, etc, like a normal desktop
                mail client. It's not just webmail but a full groupware server like MS
                Exchange. Full LDAP support, shared calenders, etc. In addition to the
                web interface it supports fat Thunderbird/Lightning and Outlook clients.
                It also supports Android/iPhone/Blackberry. Includes an admin plugin
                for Webmin. In short it's very feature rich. The one downside is that
                it requires more system resources on both the client and server, but
                with modern hardware this shouldn't be an issue.

                http://www.sogo.nu/

                --
                Stan
              • Benny Pedersen
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
                  Muhammad Yousuf Khan skrev den 2012-12-27 07:38:
                  > i want a web interface for our email access.

                  +1

                  > To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail (look
                  > wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features if
                  > there
                  > are any in squirrelmail.

                  so compare apple and oranges will leed to good answers

                  roundcube is fully AJAX webmail, if you remove AJAX in roundcube then
                  its safe to compare roundcube / squrriel-mail, i have used both, if
                  choise of the more simple webmail that is easy to setup i go for
                  squirrel

                  > so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
                  > would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
                  > good/better/stable to use?

                  setup both and let users base choice ?
                • Benny Pedersen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
                    mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:

                    > both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.

                    +1

                    > The real problem with webmail is password theft,

                    webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
                      Le 27/12/2012 22:16, Benny Pedersen a écrit :
                      > mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
                      >
                      >> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
                      >
                      > +1
                      >
                      >> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
                      >
                      > webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?

                      well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
                      browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
                      bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
                      of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

                      >> and this is independent of which solution you use.
                      >
                      > +1

                    • Eero Volotinen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
                        >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
                        >>
                        >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
                        >
                        > well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
                        > browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
                        > bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
                        > of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

                        how about using two factor or one time passwords on email?

                        https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/yubikey/

                        --
                        Eero
                      • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
                          On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM, mouss <mouss@...> wrote:
                          > Le 27/12/2012 22:16, Benny Pedersen a écrit :
                          >> mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
                          >>
                          >>> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
                          >>
                          >> +1
                          >>
                          >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
                          >>
                          >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
                          >
                          > well, actually, the problme is between "connect from random box" (a
                          > browser and you're there) and "connect from individual box" (for good or
                          > bad reasons, settings up a "standard" MUA requires some work...).
                          > of course, if a motivated luser configures a MUA in a lost cyber bar, ...

                          your statement just confuses me, do you mean threats like brute-force,
                          man-in-the-middle or you are talking about the mistake that people
                          usually make by saving their password in browser?
                          i mean how come password theft is possible in roundcube or squirrelmail ?

                          or did you mean in general?

                          >>> and this is independent of which solution you use.
                          >>
                          >> +1

                        • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 27, 2012
                            On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@...> wrote:
                            > On 12/27/2012 12:38 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
                            >> i want a web interface for our email access.
                            >> To me roundcube seems more attractive/better then squirrel-mail (look
                            >> wise) however i dont want to overlook better options/features if there
                            >> are any in squirrelmail.
                            >> so my question to all the users who have experience with both UI.
                            >> would you please suggest me which one to pick and which one is
                            >> good/better/stable to use?
                            >
                            > Have you looked at SoGo? Advanced Ajax interface, with right click
                            > context sensitive drop downs, drag & drop, etc, like a normal desktop
                            > mail client. It's not just webmail but a full groupware server like MS
                            > Exchange. Full LDAP support, shared calenders, etc. In addition to the
                            > web interface it supports fat Thunderbird/Lightning and Outlook clients.
                            > It also supports Android/iPhone/Blackberry. Includes an admin plugin
                            > for Webmin. In short it's very feature rich. The one downside is that
                            > it requires more system resources on both the client and server, but
                            > with modern hardware this shouldn't be an issue.
                            >
                            > http://www.sogo.nu/

                            Thanks, i have been through with this ( i mean an overview) but what i
                            am interested in is combining together all the elements by my self.
                            its kinda fun and it will give me the opportunity to learn more. and i
                            love when i type commands in black and white (X console) of Linux and
                            my manager and people around watching me that i am doing some kind of
                            a black magic :P

                            > --
                            > Stan

                          • KSB
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
                              On 2012.12.27. 23:16, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                              > mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
                              >
                              >> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
                              >
                              > +1

                              I also prefer RC, but SquirrelMail is very easy to setup and very robust.

                              >> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
                              >
                              > webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
                              >
                              >> and this is independent of which solution you use.
                              >
                              > +1

                              For user and password in RC autocomplete is turned off (in html level)
                              by default, this probably helps a *little* bit.

                              Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar
                              support?
                              --
                              KSB
                            • Bradley Giesbrecht
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
                                On Dec 28, 2012, at 4:42 AM, KSB wrote:

                                > On 2012.12.27. 23:16, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                                >> mouss skrev den 2012-12-27 16:09:
                                >>
                                >>> both are reasonablechoices. I personally prefer RoundCube.
                                >>
                                >> +1
                                >>
                                > I also prefer RC, but SquirrelMail is very easy to setup and very robust.
                                >

                                >>> The real problem with webmail is password theft,
                                >>
                                >> webmail have password problems no other mailclient have ?
                                >>
                                >>> and this is independent of which solution you use.
                                >>
                                >> +1
                                >>

                                > For user and password in RC autocomplete is turned off (in html level) by default, this probably helps a *little* bit.
                                >
                                > Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar support?

                                For Vacation and Sieve there is the MangageSieve plugin:
                                plugins/managesieve

                                --
                                Brad
                              • KSB
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
                                  On 2012.12.28. 19:23, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

                                  >> Does anyone know Vacation plugin for RC with Sieve protocol and calendar support?
                                  >
                                  > For Vacation and Sieve there is the MangageSieve plugin:
                                  > plugins/managesieve
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Brad

                                  Probably it gets off-list now... but this plugin is w/o calendar :(

                                  --
                                  KSB
                                • Benny Pedersen
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012