questions on debugger_command

  • Robert Moskowitz
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
      In the Centos 6 /etc/postfix/mail.cf there are the lines:

      debugger_command =
      PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
      ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5

      This parameter (?) does not show in the postconf -n listing. Also this
      command takes these 3 lines in main.cf and I wonder how does postfix
      know that these lines go together? Showing my lack of knowledge here...

      One thing I am thinking MAY be the problem is that this line in main.cf
      fails because of a warning comment in main.cf something to the concern
      that if you are using an X-based debugger, you should be sure to set up
      your XAUTHORITY environment variable before starting Postfix. And since
      this is provided in the base install of Centos 6, I *hope* they got this
      right...
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
        > In the Centos 6 /etc/postfix/mail.cf there are the lines:
        >
        > debugger_command =
        > PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
        > ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
        >
        > This parameter (?) does not show in the postconf -n listing. Also
        > this command takes these 3 lines in main.cf and I wonder how does
        > postfix know that these lines go together? Showing my lack of
        > knowledge here...

        It would seem wrong for that parameter to be missing from "postconf
        -n" output.

        The top of the postconf manual page describes how multi line
        parameters work. Basically a line starting with whitespace
        continues the previous line.
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

        You also might notice that issuing the command
        # postconf debugger_command
        returns the whole value on one line. Or it might return an empty
        value, in which case there is more than one debugger_command defined
        in main.cf.

        > One thing I am thinking MAY be the problem is that this line in
        > main.cf fails because of a warning comment in main.cf something to
        > the concern that if you are using an X-based debugger, you should be
        > sure to set up your XAUTHORITY environment variable before starting
        > Postfix. And since this is provided in the base install of Centos
        > 6, I *hope* they got this right...

        Looks OK to me.

        If you're still trying to display non-default parameters, google for
        the postfinger tool.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Robert Moskowitz
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
          On 12/23/2012 09:33 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
          > On 12/23/2012 8:12 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
          >> In the Centos 6 /etc/postfix/mail.cf there are the lines:
          >>
          >> debugger_command =
          >> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
          >> ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
          >>
          >> This parameter (?) does not show in the postconf -n listing. Also
          >> this command takes these 3 lines in main.cf and I wonder how does
          >> postfix know that these lines go together? Showing my lack of
          >> knowledge here...
          > It would seem wrong for that parameter to be missing from "postconf
          > -n" output.
          >
          > The top of the postconf manual page describes how multi line
          > parameters work. Basically a line starting with whitespace
          > continues the previous line.
          > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html
          >
          > You also might notice that issuing the command
          > # postconf debugger_command
          > returns the whole value on one line. Or it might return an empty
          > value, in which case there is more than one debugger_command defined
          > in main.cf.

          postconf debugger_command

          returns

          postconf: warning: debugger_command: unknown parameter

          This is postfix 2.6.6 on Centos 6

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
            Robert Moskowitz:
            > postconf debugger_command
            >
            > returns
            >
            > postconf: warning: debugger_command: unknown parameter
            >
            > This is postfix 2.6.6 on Centos 6

            Fixed in Postfix 2.9.

            Wietse
          • Robert Moskowitz
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
              On 12/23/2012 09:33 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
              > On 12/23/2012 8:12 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
              >> In the Centos 6 /etc/postfix/mail.cf there are the lines:
              >>
              >> debugger_command =
              >> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
              >> ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
              >>
              >> This parameter (?) does not show in the postconf -n listing. Also
              >> this command takes these 3 lines in main.cf and I wonder how does
              >> postfix know that these lines go together? Showing my lack of
              >> knowledge here...
              > It would seem wrong for that parameter to be missing from "postconf
              > -n" output.
              >
              > The top of the postconf manual page describes how multi line
              > parameters work. Basically a line starting with whitespace
              > continues the previous line.
              > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

              This is the challenge of RTFM. Which FM? And how do I find it.

              > You also might notice that issuing the command
              > # postconf debugger_command
              > returns the whole value on one line. Or it might return an empty
              > value, in which case there is more than one debugger_command defined
              > in main.cf.
              >
              >> One thing I am thinking MAY be the problem is that this line in
              >> main.cf fails because of a warning comment in main.cf something to
              >> the concern that if you are using an X-based debugger, you should be
              >> sure to set up your XAUTHORITY environment variable before starting
              >> Postfix. And since this is provided in the base install of Centos
              >> 6, I *hope* they got this right...
              > Looks OK to me.
              >
              > If you're still trying to display non-default parameters, google for
              > the postfinger tool.

              This is an old tool, but does not seem to be available for Centos, and I
              am not good at building. So I am going to have to go to the Centos list
              and see if anyone has it built as an rpm for Centos 6.3. Thanks for the
              tip.
            • Robert Moskowitz
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
                On 12/23/2012 11:16 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                > Robert Moskowitz:
                >> postconf debugger_command
                >>
                >> returns
                >>
                >> postconf: warning: debugger_command: unknown parameter
                >>
                >> This is postfix 2.6.6 on Centos 6
                > Fixed in Postfix 2.9.

                ARGH!!! :)

                I will submit this to the Centos list and see what they do with it.
                Thanks Wietse.

                BTW, is this only a problem with reporting debugger_command or is
                debugger_command broken until 2.9?
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
                  Robert Moskowitz:
                  > postconf debugger_command
                  > returns
                  > postconf: warning: debugger_command: unknown parameter
                  > This is postfix 2.6.6 on Centos 6

                  Wietse:
                  > Fixed in Postfix 2.9.

                  > Robert Moskowitz:
                  > ARGH!!! :)
                  >
                  > I will submit this to the Centos list and see what they do with it.
                  > Thanks Wietse.
                  >
                  > BTW, is this only a problem with reporting debugger_command or is
                  > debugger_command broken until 2.9?

                  This is a limitation of old postconf implementations, and it is
                  unlikely that it will be patched (it may be sufficient to add an
                  entry to postconf/install_table.h and postconf/install_vars.h).

                  The Postfix 2.9 implementation is a complete rewrite that reports
                  debugger_command and more importantly, warns about unused parameters
                  in main.cf or master.cf (typically typos).

                  Postfix 2.10 brings incremental improvements: postconf reports the
                  expansion of $name in parameter values, reports parameters that
                  can't be set in main.cf (process_name, process_id), warns about
                  attempts to set such read-only parameters, and warns about an unknown
                  $name in parameter values (typically typos).

                  All this will help with Postfix troubleshooting and support. Folks
                  that run four-year old code will have something to look forward to.

                  Wietse
                • Robert Moskowitz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
                    On 12/23/2012 12:12 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                    > Robert Moskowitz:
                    >> postconf debugger_command
                    >> returns
                    >> postconf: warning: debugger_command: unknown parameter
                    >> This is postfix 2.6.6 on Centos 6
                    > Wietse:
                    >> Fixed in Postfix 2.9.
                    >> Robert Moskowitz:
                    >> ARGH!!! :)
                    >>
                    >> I will submit this to the Centos list and see what they do with it.
                    >> Thanks Wietse.
                    >>
                    >> BTW, is this only a problem with reporting debugger_command or is
                    >> debugger_command broken until 2.9?
                    > This is a limitation of old postconf implementations, and it is
                    > unlikely that it will be patched (it may be sufficient to add an
                    > entry to postconf/install_table.h and postconf/install_vars.h).
                    >
                    > The Postfix 2.9 implementation is a complete rewrite that reports
                    > debugger_command and more importantly, warns about unused parameters
                    > in main.cf or master.cf (typically typos).

                    Nice.

                    > Postfix 2.10 brings incremental improvements: postconf reports the
                    > expansion of $name in parameter values, reports parameters that
                    > can't be set in main.cf (process_name, process_id), warns about
                    > attempts to set such read-only parameters, and warns about an unknown
                    > $name in parameter values (typically typos).
                    >
                    > All this will help with Postfix troubleshooting and support. Folks
                    > that run four-year old code will have something to look forward to.

                    Right now I am trying to stay with what Centos 6.3 is shipping with.
                    Perhaps that is risky, but this is a low usage server with a few domains
                    and a couple handful of users.

                    My current server is built on F12 with a custom built postfix to add the
                    quota patch. I just checked and that is running 2.6.5; thus I have
                    instructions on how to build postfix from source. This is part of why I
                    want 'stock' rpms and a stable OS base. Right now I need to rebuild on a
                    new OS platform, either F18 which will ship shortly or Centos 6.3.

                    I really appreciate all you have done here.
                  • John Hinton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012

                      > On 12/23/2012 12:12 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                      >> Robert Moskowitz:
                      >>> postconf debugger_command
                      >>> returns
                      >>> postconf: warning: debugger_command: unknown parameter
                      >>> This is postfix 2.6.6 on Centos 6
                      >> Wietse:
                      >>> Fixed in Postfix 2.9.
                      >>> Robert Moskowitz:
                      >>> ARGH!!! :)
                      >>>
                      >>> I will submit this to the Centos list and see what they do with it.
                      >>> Thanks Wietse.
                      >>>
                      >>> BTW, is this only a problem with reporting debugger_command or is
                      >>> debugger_command broken until 2.9?
                      >> This is a limitation of old postconf implementations, and it is
                      >> unlikely that it will be patched (it may be sufficient to add an
                      >> entry to postconf/install_table.h and postconf/install_vars.h).
                      >>
                      >> The Postfix 2.9 implementation is a complete rewrite that reports
                      >> debugger_command and more importantly, warns about unused parameters
                      >> in main.cf or master.cf (typically typos).
                      >
                      > Nice.
                      >
                      >> Postfix 2.10 brings incremental improvements: postconf reports the
                      >> expansion of $name in parameter values, reports parameters that
                      >> can't be set in main.cf (process_name, process_id), warns about
                      >> attempts to set such read-only parameters, and warns about an unknown
                      >> $name in parameter values (typically typos).
                      >>
                      >> All this will help with Postfix troubleshooting and support. Folks
                      >> that run four-year old code will have something to look forward to.
                      >
                      > Right now I am trying to stay with what Centos 6.3 is shipping with.
                      > Perhaps that is risky, but this is a low usage server with a few
                      > domains and a couple handful of users.
                      >
                      > My current server is built on F12 with a custom built postfix to add
                      > the quota patch. I just checked and that is running 2.6.5; thus I
                      > have instructions on how to build postfix from source. This is part of
                      > why I want 'stock' rpms and a stable OS base. Right now I need to
                      > rebuild on a new OS platform, either F18 which will ship shortly or
                      > Centos 6.3.
                      >
                      > I really appreciate all you have done here.

                      Don't submit it to the CentOS list. CentOS is a direct copy, as much as
                      possible of Redhat. You would need to report this to Redhat and get them
                      to do the updates before it would make it out to CentOS. You may however
                      find a repo with a newer version available.

                      --
                      John Hinton
                      877-777-1407 ext 502