Re: RBL 'weighting'?

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 17, 2012
      On 12/17/2012 10:52 AM, Miha Valencic wrote:
      > So, since we need some features of policyd as well (rate limiting, for
      > instance), and we're already using amavis, do we chain postfwd before
      > policyd or vice-versa?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Miha.

      postfwd does rate limiting, and many other features. Maybe you can
      consolidate everything into postfwd.

      Additionally, rate limiting is typically done on outgoing mail,
      while RBL checks are typically for inbound mail. This might be a
      good time to investigate multiple postfix instances to separate your
      traffic flow.

      Anyway, to answer your question about which to use first; it
      probably doesn't matter. Rule-of-thumb is to put less expensive
      checks first -- that suggests rate limits with local table lookups
      first, then the more time-consuming RBL lookups next. But in this
      situation it probably doesn't make much difference since they are
      checking different mail flows.

      -- Noel Jones
    • Miha Valencic
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 17, 2012
        On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Noel Jones <njones@...> wrote:
        > postfwd does rate limiting, and many other features. Maybe you can
        > consolidate everything into postfwd.

        We'll take a deeper look at postfwd for that.

        > Additionally, rate limiting is typically done on outgoing mail,

        True. But there are some specific requirements (beyond my
        understanding :(). But if the setup will not be identical, we'll have
        to look into the multi-postfix setup again.

        Miha
      • /dev/rob0
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 17, 2012
          On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 04:01:58PM +0100, Miha Valencic wrote:
          > We're using postfix 2.7, so postscreen is out.

          Actually not. You could build 2.8 and bring in the postscreen and
          dnsblog executables and master.cf configuration; this should work
          according to:

          http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.7.0.html

          But then, you might as well just build and use 2.9.