RE: Tool to read queued messages?

  • David Hubbard
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
      Thanks everyone for the postcat tip; obviously I'm
      new to postfix. Finally had to get off qmail after
      years of resisting.

    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
        On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 05:42:53PM -0500, David Hubbard wrote:
        > Hi all, was wondering if anyone has a handy tool,
        > cat -v and pipe to something, perl class, etc. for
        > outputting a queued message file to stdout but
        > have the line breaks display rather than the
        > control characters? It's difficult to troubleshoot
        > where deferred messages from mailer-daemon originally

        Bounces? Why are you sending bounces? This is usually a symptom of
        bigger problems.

        > came from when looking at the raw files because
        > all the headers, postfix control info and message
        > body are displayed together as two long lines.

        In addition to postcat(1) as mentioned upthread, you can trace the
        queue ID in your logs. That will probably also reveal the reasons
        behind the bounces.
      • Stan Hoeppner
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
          On 12/13/2012 4:52 PM, David Hubbard wrote:
          > Thanks everyone for the postcat tip; obviously I'm
          > new to postfix. Finally had to get off qmail after
          > years of resisting.

          Welcome to Postfix David. I'm sure you'll find many things you like
          better than qmail, some maybe not so much. But I think you'll find an
          active support community with Postfix. The fact that the author himself
          still answers questions, daily, should tell you something about the
          level of support Postfix receives, unlike what happened to qmail.

          --
          Stan