Tool to read queued messages?

  • David Hubbard
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
      Hi all, was wondering if anyone has a handy tool,
      cat -v and pipe to something, perl class, etc. for
      outputting a queued message file to stdout but
      have the line breaks display rather than the
      control characters? It's difficult to troubleshoot
      where deferred messages from mailer-daemon originally
      came from when looking at the raw files because
      all the headers, postfix control info and message
      body are displayed together as two long lines.

      Thanks,

      David
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
        On 12/13/2012 4:42 PM, David Hubbard wrote:
        > Hi all, was wondering if anyone has a handy tool,
        > cat -v and pipe to something, perl class, etc. for
        > outputting a queued message file to stdout but
        > have the line breaks display rather than the
        > control characters? It's difficult to troubleshoot
        > where deferred messages from mailer-daemon originally
        > came from when looking at the raw files because
        > all the headers, postfix control info and message
        > body are displayed together as two long lines.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > David

        http://www.postfix.org/postcat.1.html

        -- Noel Jones
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
          Am 13.12.2012 23:42, schrieb David Hubbard:
          > Hi all, was wondering if anyone has a handy tool,
          > cat -v and pipe to something, perl class, etc. for
          > outputting a queued message file to stdout but
          > have the line breaks display rather than the
          > control characters?

          postcat
        • zorg@probesys.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
            Le 2012-12-13 23:42, David Hubbard a écrit :
            > Hi all, was wondering if anyone has a handy tool,
            > cat -v and pipe to something, perl class, etc. for
            > outputting a queued message file to stdout but
            > have the line breaks display rather than the
            > control characters? It's difficult to troubleshoot
            > where deferred messages from mailer-daemon originally
            > came from when looking at the raw files because
            > all the headers, postfix control info and message
            > body are displayed together as two long lines.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > David
            pfqueue should help
          • David Hubbard
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
              Thanks everyone for the postcat tip; obviously I'm
              new to postfix. Finally had to get off qmail after
              years of resisting.

            • /dev/rob0
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
                On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 05:42:53PM -0500, David Hubbard wrote:
                > Hi all, was wondering if anyone has a handy tool,
                > cat -v and pipe to something, perl class, etc. for
                > outputting a queued message file to stdout but
                > have the line breaks display rather than the
                > control characters? It's difficult to troubleshoot
                > where deferred messages from mailer-daemon originally

                Bounces? Why are you sending bounces? This is usually a symptom of
                bigger problems.

                > came from when looking at the raw files because
                > all the headers, postfix control info and message
                > body are displayed together as two long lines.

                In addition to postcat(1) as mentioned upthread, you can trace the
                queue ID in your logs. That will probably also reveal the reasons
                behind the bounces.
              • Stan Hoeppner
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
                  On 12/13/2012 4:52 PM, David Hubbard wrote:
                  > Thanks everyone for the postcat tip; obviously I'm
                  > new to postfix. Finally had to get off qmail after
                  > years of resisting.

                  Welcome to Postfix David. I'm sure you'll find many things you like
                  better than qmail, some maybe not so much. But I think you'll find an
                  active support community with Postfix. The fact that the author himself
                  still answers questions, daily, should tell you something about the
                  level of support Postfix receives, unlike what happened to qmail.

                  --
                  Stan