difference b/w /etc/aliases and virtual_alias_maps

  • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10 11:47 PM
      i was testing /etc/aliases and virtual_alias_maps define in /etc/postfix/main.cf
      both works fine for me. however the confusion part is i can not
      understand the difference b/w them. like in which case i can use
      virtual_alias_maps or /etc/aliases file.

      Thanks in advance for any help .
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11 4:02 AM
        Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
        > i was testing /etc/aliases and virtual_alias_maps define in /etc/postfix/main.cf
        > both works fine for me. however the confusion part is i can not
        > understand the difference b/w them. like in which case i can use
        > virtual_alias_maps or /etc/aliases file.

        As documented alias_maps is used by the local(8) delivery agent
        while virtual_alias_maps is used while receiving mail.