Re: Status code of multiline responses logged

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
      Am 08.12.2012 17:14, schrieb Wietse Venema:
      > Reindl Harald:
      >> the problem is that nearly all clients are only display the LAST
      >> respsonse-line which is as example currently a real problem with
      >> "smtpd_reject_footer" because the user wil never see anything except
      >> the footer, AFAIK the will be the possiblity on postfix 2.10 to
      >> add the reject-footer without a new line to solve this
      >
      > It's been in Postfix 2.10 for a while now (for people who
      > can use the development release)

      i know, but i am really unsure if i can use the devel-release
      for production, technically the update is done in 5 minutes
      and the same time i am impressed about the way you are not
      breaking backward compatibility over many years like most other
      dveloper does i think you must have good reasons to call it a
      development release and not 2.10 GA
    • Noel Jones

        On 12/8/2012 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
        > i know, but i am really unsure if i can use the devel-release
        > for production, technically the update is done in 5 minutes and
        > the same time i am impressed about the way you are not breaking
        > backward compatibility over many years like most other dveloper
        > does i think you must have good reasons to call it a
        > development release and not 2.10 GA

        As the postfix download page says, the developmental releases are
        production-quality; it's the features that are considered
        developmental. I've probably used 100+ snapshot versions in
        production with no notable incidents.

        Updates with significant new code are clearly marked
        non-production until the code has been fully tested. These are
        only released occasionally; there isn't one available right now.

        The features and controls do change, so you're expected to use a
        reasonably current snapshot; if you want to install something and
        not touch it for years, stick with -stable.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
          Am 08.12.2012 20:01, schrieb Noel Jones:
          > On 12/8/2012 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
          >> i know, but i am really unsure if i can use the devel-release
          >> for production, technically the update is done in 5 minutes and
          >> the same time i am impressed about the way you are not breaking
          >> backward compatibility over many years like most other dveloper
          >> does i think you must have good reasons to call it a
          >> development release and not 2.10 GA
          >>
          > As the postfix download page says, the developmental releases are
          > production-quality; it's the features that are considered
          > developmental. I've probably used 100+ snapshot versions in
          > production with no notable incidents.
          >
          > Updates with significant new code are clearly marked
          > non-production until the code has been fully tested. These are
          > only released occasionally; there isn't one available right now.
          >
          > The features and controls do change, so you're expected to use a
          > reasonably current snapshot; if you want to install something and
          > not touch it for years, stick with -stable.

          thank you for the feedback

          this sounds really good and i will give 2.10-devel a try as soon
          as i have my currently jobs finished, means in the days between
          christmas and new year

          i thought so because i am impressed of the quality of postfix
          at all and especially the way Wietses attitude to not break
          configurations not just for fun - as said some months ago:

          this world would be a better one if more developers would
          have this attitude - throwing things away and restart from
          scratch with all sorts of regressions is easy, a development
          like postfix have since many years is real quality

          thanks again for a real good application which works in a way
          you sometimes forget that it exists!