Re: Status code of multiline responses logged

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
      Someone who didn't read my reply:
      > So I would assume that you could leave out response codes except for the
      > first line for the log output when concatenating a multiple response.

      No, because some server will use different reply codes on
      different lines of the same reply.

      Reindl Harald:
      > the problem is that nearly all clients are only display the LAST
      > respsonse-line which is as example currently a real problem with
      > "smtpd_reject_footer" because the user wil never see anything except
      > the footer, AFAIK the will be the possiblity on postfix 2.10 to
      > add the reject-footer without a new line to solve this

      It's been in Postfix 2.10 for a while now (for people who
      can use the development release).

      Wietse
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
        Am 08.12.2012 17:14, schrieb Wietse Venema:
        > Reindl Harald:
        >> the problem is that nearly all clients are only display the LAST
        >> respsonse-line which is as example currently a real problem with
        >> "smtpd_reject_footer" because the user wil never see anything except
        >> the footer, AFAIK the will be the possiblity on postfix 2.10 to
        >> add the reject-footer without a new line to solve this
        >
        > It's been in Postfix 2.10 for a while now (for people who
        > can use the development release)

        i know, but i am really unsure if i can use the devel-release
        for production, technically the update is done in 5 minutes
        and the same time i am impressed about the way you are not
        breaking backward compatibility over many years like most other
        dveloper does i think you must have good reasons to call it a
        development release and not 2.10 GA
      • Noel Jones
        • Reindl Harald
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
            Am 08.12.2012 20:01, schrieb Noel Jones:
            > On 12/8/2012 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
            >> i know, but i am really unsure if i can use the devel-release
            >> for production, technically the update is done in 5 minutes and
            >> the same time i am impressed about the way you are not breaking
            >> backward compatibility over many years like most other dveloper
            >> does i think you must have good reasons to call it a
            >> development release and not 2.10 GA
            >>
            > As the postfix download page says, the developmental releases are
            > production-quality; it's the features that are considered
            > developmental. I've probably used 100+ snapshot versions in
            > production with no notable incidents.
            >
            > Updates with significant new code are clearly marked
            > non-production until the code has been fully tested. These are
            > only released occasionally; there isn't one available right now.
            >
            > The features and controls do change, so you're expected to use a
            > reasonably current snapshot; if you want to install something and
            > not touch it for years, stick with -stable.

            thank you for the feedback

            this sounds really good and i will give 2.10-devel a try as soon
            as i have my currently jobs finished, means in the days between
            christmas and new year

            i thought so because i am impressed of the quality of postfix
            at all and especially the way Wietses attitude to not break
            configurations not just for fun - as said some months ago:

            this world would be a better one if more developers would
            have this attitude - throwing things away and restart from
            scratch with all sorts of regressions is easy, a development
            like postfix have since many years is real quality

            thanks again for a real good application which works in a way
            you sometimes forget that it exists!