Re: Status code of multiline responses logged

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8 4:34 AM
      Am 08.12.2012 13:26, schrieb Robert Sander:
      >> You assume that all response lines will have the same reply code,
      >> but that is not necessarily true. If Postfix were to log the first
      >> reply code only, then you would never be aware of the discrepancy.
      >
      > RFC821 Appendix E states:
      >
      > The format for multiline replies requires that every line,
      > except the last, begin with the reply code, followed
      > immediately by a hyphen, "-" (also known as minus), followed by
      > text. The last line will begin with the reply code, followed
      > immediately by <SP>, optionally some text, and <CRLF>.
      >

      > So I would assume that you could leave out response codes except for the
      > first line for the log output when concatenating a multiple response.

      the problem is that nearly all clients are only display the LAST
      respsonse-line which is as example currently a real problem with
      "smtpd_reject_footer" because the user wil never see anything except
      the footer, AFAIK the will be the possiblity on postfix 2.10 to
      add the reject-footer without a new line to solve this

      i had this last week again where i customer did not understand the
      error message (which contained only the request footer) and a look
      in the maillog showed me that "reject_non_fqdn_recipient" was the
      (correct) reason

      "Recipient address rejected: need fully-qualified address"
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8 8:14 AM
        Someone who didn't read my reply:
        > So I would assume that you could leave out response codes except for the
        > first line for the log output when concatenating a multiple response.

        No, because some server will use different reply codes on
        different lines of the same reply.

        Reindl Harald:
        > the problem is that nearly all clients are only display the LAST
        > respsonse-line which is as example currently a real problem with
        > "smtpd_reject_footer" because the user wil never see anything except
        > the footer, AFAIK the will be the possiblity on postfix 2.10 to
        > add the reject-footer without a new line to solve this

        It's been in Postfix 2.10 for a while now (for people who
        can use the development release).

        Wietse
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8 8:35 AM
          Am 08.12.2012 17:14, schrieb Wietse Venema:
          > Reindl Harald:
          >> the problem is that nearly all clients are only display the LAST
          >> respsonse-line which is as example currently a real problem with
          >> "smtpd_reject_footer" because the user wil never see anything except
          >> the footer, AFAIK the will be the possiblity on postfix 2.10 to
          >> add the reject-footer without a new line to solve this
          >
          > It's been in Postfix 2.10 for a while now (for people who
          > can use the development release)

          i know, but i am really unsure if i can use the devel-release
          for production, technically the update is done in 5 minutes
          and the same time i am impressed about the way you are not
          breaking backward compatibility over many years like most other
          dveloper does i think you must have good reasons to call it a
          development release and not 2.10 GA
        • Noel Jones

            On 12/8/2012 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
            > i know, but i am really unsure if i can use the devel-release
            > for production, technically the update is done in 5 minutes and
            > the same time i am impressed about the way you are not breaking
            > backward compatibility over many years like most other dveloper
            > does i think you must have good reasons to call it a
            > development release and not 2.10 GA

            As the postfix download page says, the developmental releases are
            production-quality; it's the features that are considered
            developmental. I've probably used 100+ snapshot versions in
            production with no notable incidents.

            Updates with significant new code are clearly marked
            non-production until the code has been fully tested. These are
            only released occasionally; there isn't one available right now.

            The features and controls do change, so you're expected to use a
            reasonably current snapshot; if you want to install something and
            not touch it for years, stick with -stable.

            -- Noel Jones
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8 11:09 AM
              Am 08.12.2012 20:01, schrieb Noel Jones:
              > On 12/8/2012 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
              >> i know, but i am really unsure if i can use the devel-release
              >> for production, technically the update is done in 5 minutes and
              >> the same time i am impressed about the way you are not breaking
              >> backward compatibility over many years like most other dveloper
              >> does i think you must have good reasons to call it a
              >> development release and not 2.10 GA
              >>
              > As the postfix download page says, the developmental releases are
              > production-quality; it's the features that are considered
              > developmental. I've probably used 100+ snapshot versions in
              > production with no notable incidents.
              >
              > Updates with significant new code are clearly marked
              > non-production until the code has been fully tested. These are
              > only released occasionally; there isn't one available right now.
              >
              > The features and controls do change, so you're expected to use a
              > reasonably current snapshot; if you want to install something and
              > not touch it for years, stick with -stable.

              thank you for the feedback

              this sounds really good and i will give 2.10-devel a try as soon
              as i have my currently jobs finished, means in the days between
              christmas and new year

              i thought so because i am impressed of the quality of postfix
              at all and especially the way Wietses attitude to not break
              configurations not just for fun - as said some months ago:

              this world would be a better one if more developers would
              have this attitude - throwing things away and restart from
              scratch with all sorts of regressions is easy, a development
              like postfix have since many years is real quality

              thanks again for a real good application which works in a way
              you sometimes forget that it exists!