Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: problem receiving from mx.191.biz

Expand Messages
  • Jim Wright
    ... What you did here was check for mails including that particular DNS name, an incoming message to your server may not have been sent from the MX DNS name,
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      On Dec 6, 2012, at 6:08 AM, Giuseppe De Nicolo' wrote:

       the mx responsible for this domain is mx.191.biz ( Telecom Italia - God save us all ) I checked my server logs for any evidence of this

      grep mx.191.biz /var/log/maillog* and this is the output :

      /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:42:22 darkstar postfix/smtp[2032]: D43C1214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=3.1, delays=0.01/0.03/0.79/2.3, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215728826 accepted)
      /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:50:27 darkstar postfix/smtp[2091]: BC365214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.87, delays=0.02/0.03/0.61/0.21, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215612731 accepted)
      /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 28 13:53:18 darkstar postfix/smtp[7131]: 0727C214E6: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=4.6, delays=0.03/0.03/1.8/2.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215531999 accepted)
      /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 29 12:00:20 darkstar postfix/smtp[11094]: C41E9214EA: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.94, delays=0.02/0.01/0.69/0.22, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 216175404 accepted)
      /var/log/maillog.2:Nov 19 09:44:48 darkstar postfix/smtp[28596]: C22B42147E: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=1.3, delays=0.01/0.01/0.78/0.52, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 212683426 accepted)

      What you did here was check for mails including that particular DNS name, an incoming message to your server may not have been sent from the 'MX' DNS name, so it would not have been found in your search.

      You may want to instead search simply for 191.it, or possibly 77.238 to see if this gets any additional hits.

      It may be worth having your user check with the sender to see if any failure receipts were received, and to forward those.  That would give additional info that should help in your log search.


      Jim
    • Giuseppe De Nicolo'
      ... Hi, Actually I did that too and did produce the same evidence , anyway tonight I had an illumination on what may cause this behavior. I noticed that my log
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2012
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        On 12/06/2012 03:03 PM, Jim Wright wrote:
        On Dec 6, 2012, at 6:08 AM, Giuseppe De Nicolo' wrote:

         the mx responsible for this domain is mx.191.biz ( Telecom Italia - God save us all ) I checked my server logs for any evidence of this

        grep mx.191.biz /var/log/maillog* and this is the output :

        /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:42:22 darkstar postfix/smtp[2032]: D43C1214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=3.1, delays=0.01/0.03/0.79/2.3, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215728826 accepted)
        /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:50:27 darkstar postfix/smtp[2091]: BC365214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.87, delays=0.02/0.03/0.61/0.21, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215612731 accepted)
        /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 28 13:53:18 darkstar postfix/smtp[7131]: 0727C214E6: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=4.6, delays=0.03/0.03/1.8/2.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215531999 accepted)
        /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 29 12:00:20 darkstar postfix/smtp[11094]: C41E9214EA: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.94, delays=0.02/0.01/0.69/0.22, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 216175404 accepted)
        /var/log/maillog.2:Nov 19 09:44:48 darkstar postfix/smtp[28596]: C22B42147E: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=1.3, delays=0.01/0.01/0.78/0.52, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 212683426 accepted)

        What you did here was check for mails including that particular DNS name, an incoming message to your server may not have been sent from the 'MX' DNS name, so it would not have been found in your search.

        You may want to instead search simply for 191.it, or possibly 77.238 to see if this gets any additional hits.

        It may be worth having your user check with the sender to see if any failure receipts were received, and to forward those.  That would give additional info that should help in your log search.


        Jim
        Hi,

            Actually I did that too and did produce the same evidence , anyway tonight I had an illumination on what may cause this behavior. I noticed that my log do produce only sent object for that server , wich is quite strange since Telecom Italia is the main ISP and Telephone Company in Italy , before being managed by this server this domain was served by the exatly same mx ( mx.191.biz) so what may be  happening is  that when we did transfer the domain the mx server maintainer did not delete the relevant configuration from it , so THIS server still think of this as local delivery ...... I asked my customer for the older access to see if I can still fetch them from it ......

            Anyway I m quite positive this is NOT a postfix problem so I am investigating in that direction now

        Thank you all
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.