Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

problem receiving from mx.191.biz

Expand Messages
  • Giuseppe De Nicolo'
    Hi all, I have received a complaint from a customer thats sit on our server(postconf down below ) about not receiving a message from a particular sender
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi all,
         
           I have received a complaint from a customer thats sit on our server(postconf  down below ) about not receiving a message from a particular sender  domain  " @... " since it was unable to receive the mail , my customer did supply an alternate address ( not managed by us ) with the message and this sort of  evidence ( wich does not include the header so it is basically useless ) :

      ----Messaggio originale-----
      Da: Olmar spa [mailto:amministratore@...]
      Inviato: martedì 27 novembre 2012 18.00
      A: 'segreteria@...'

      -----Messaggio originale-----
      Da: Olmar spa [mailto:amministratore@...]
      Inviato: martedì 27 novembre 2012 17.41
      A: 'luca.troili@...'

      -----Messaggio originale-----
      Da: Olmar spa [mailto:amministratore@...]
      Inviato: mercoledì 21 novembre 2012 10.21
      A: 'luca.troili@...'

       the mx responsible for this domain is mx.191.biz ( Telecom Italia - God save us all ) I checked my server logs for any evidence of this

      grep mx.191.biz /var/log/maillog* and this is the output :

      /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:42:22 darkstar postfix/smtp[2032]: D43C1214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=3.1, delays=0.01/0.03/0.79/2.3, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215728826 accepted)
      /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:50:27 darkstar postfix/smtp[2091]: BC365214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.87, delays=0.02/0.03/0.61/0.21, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215612731 accepted)
      /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 28 13:53:18 darkstar postfix/smtp[7131]: 0727C214E6: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=4.6, delays=0.03/0.03/1.8/2.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215531999 accepted)
      /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 29 12:00:20 darkstar postfix/smtp[11094]: C41E9214EA: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.94, delays=0.02/0.01/0.69/0.22, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 216175404 accepted)
      /var/log/maillog.2:Nov 19 09:44:48 darkstar postfix/smtp[28596]: C22B42147E: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=1.3, delays=0.01/0.01/0.78/0.52, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 212683426 accepted)


          So it seems that although my server do play nice with this server , there is no communication for those particular e-mails , unfortuntely neither olmar.191.it or 191.it ( both serverd by mx.191.biz )  do  comply with RFC RFC822, RFC1123 , e RFC2821 ( doesn't have either postmaster or abuse ) so I m stuck to try and contact a pratically non-existent helpdesk.

          So what I'd like to know is ... am I failing to see something obvious ( wich actually happens often ;-P ) ? or am right to believe the problem lies in the remote MTA or directly on the sender part ?

      --- Postconf -n ---
      alias_database = /etc/aliases
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
      bounce_queue_lifetime = 8h
      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
      command_directory = /usr/sbin
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      content_filter = amavis-scan:[127.0.0.1]:10024
      daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
      data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
      debug_peer_level = 2
      dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
      html_directory = no
      mail_owner = postfix
      mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
      manpage_directory = /usr/man
      maximal_queue_lifetime = 8h
      mydestination = localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
      mydomain = vmail.local
      myhostname = darkstar.vmail.local
      mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24
      myorigin = $myhostname
      newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
      queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
      readme_directory = no
      sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
      setgid_group = postdrop
      smtpd_banner = mail.notaiotroili.it ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version)
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,permit_sasl_authenticated,reject_unauth_destination
      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
      smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
      smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
      smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
      smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
      smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
      unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
      virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/sql/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf,proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/sql/mysql_virtual_alias_domain_maps.cf,proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/sql/mysql_virtual_alias_domain_catchall_maps.cf
      virtual_mailbox_base = /mail/vmailbox
      virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/sql/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
      virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/sql/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf,proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/sql/mysql_virtual_alias_domain_mailbox_maps.cf
      virtual_transport = dovecot

      ---postconf -n ---
    • Daniele Nicolodi
      ... Your customer in not able to receive emails from olmar.191.it ... but this log entry is for an outgoing message to zanelli.191.it. There is no evidence of
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        On 06/12/2012 13:08, Giuseppe De Nicolo' wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have received a complaint from a customer thats sit on our
        > server(postconf down below ) about not receiving a message from a
        > particular sender domain " @... "

        Your customer in not able to receive emails from olmar.191.it

        > grep mx.191.biz /var/log/maillog* and this is the output :
        >
        > /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:42:22 darkstar postfix/smtp[2032]:
        > D43C1214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>,
        > relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=3.1,
        > delays=0.01/0.03/0.79/2.3, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok: Message
        > 215728826 accepted)

        but this log entry is for an outgoing message to zanelli.191.it. There
        is no evidence of incoming messages in the log excerpt you produced.

        Cheers,
        Daniele
      • Giuseppe De Nicolo'
        ... Hi Danele, As I stated I did grep for the mx record which happens to be responsible for all the second level domain 191.it and subsequent third level
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          On 12/06/2012 01:27 PM, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
          > On 06/12/2012 13:08, Giuseppe De Nicolo' wrote:
          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> I have received a complaint from a customer thats sit on our
          >> server(postconf down below ) about not receiving a message from a
          >> particular sender domain " @... "
          > Your customer in not able to receive emails from olmar.191.it
          >
          >> grep mx.191.biz /var/log/maillog* and this is the output :
          >>
          >> /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:42:22 darkstar postfix/smtp[2032]:
          >> D43C1214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>,
          >> relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=3.1,
          >> delays=0.01/0.03/0.79/2.3, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok: Message
          >> 215728826 accepted)
          > but this log entry is for an outgoing message to zanelli.191.it. There
          > is no evidence of incoming messages in the log excerpt you produced.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Daniele
          >
          >

          Hi Danele,

          As I stated I did grep for the mx record which happens to be
          responsible for all the second level domain 191.it and subsequent third
          level doman ( zanetti olmar etc.) , the main point is exatly that into
          my server log seems this person "never" tried to send nothing to me BUT
          on the orher side he does affirm he did , I m quite positive this is a
          problem not related to my server ,what I was asking is a external point
          of view of the situation in case I negleted some flaw into my setup.

          Cheers
        • Jim Wright
          ... What you did here was check for mails including that particular DNS name, an incoming message to your server may not have been sent from the MX DNS name,
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            On Dec 6, 2012, at 6:08 AM, Giuseppe De Nicolo' wrote:

             the mx responsible for this domain is mx.191.biz ( Telecom Italia - God save us all ) I checked my server logs for any evidence of this

            grep mx.191.biz /var/log/maillog* and this is the output :

            /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:42:22 darkstar postfix/smtp[2032]: D43C1214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=3.1, delays=0.01/0.03/0.79/2.3, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215728826 accepted)
            /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:50:27 darkstar postfix/smtp[2091]: BC365214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.87, delays=0.02/0.03/0.61/0.21, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215612731 accepted)
            /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 28 13:53:18 darkstar postfix/smtp[7131]: 0727C214E6: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=4.6, delays=0.03/0.03/1.8/2.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215531999 accepted)
            /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 29 12:00:20 darkstar postfix/smtp[11094]: C41E9214EA: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.94, delays=0.02/0.01/0.69/0.22, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 216175404 accepted)
            /var/log/maillog.2:Nov 19 09:44:48 darkstar postfix/smtp[28596]: C22B42147E: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=1.3, delays=0.01/0.01/0.78/0.52, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 212683426 accepted)

            What you did here was check for mails including that particular DNS name, an incoming message to your server may not have been sent from the 'MX' DNS name, so it would not have been found in your search.

            You may want to instead search simply for 191.it, or possibly 77.238 to see if this gets any additional hits.

            It may be worth having your user check with the sender to see if any failure receipts were received, and to forward those.  That would give additional info that should help in your log search.


            Jim
          • Giuseppe De Nicolo'
            ... Hi, Actually I did that too and did produce the same evidence , anyway tonight I had an illumination on what may cause this behavior. I noticed that my log
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              On 12/06/2012 03:03 PM, Jim Wright wrote:
              On Dec 6, 2012, at 6:08 AM, Giuseppe De Nicolo' wrote:

               the mx responsible for this domain is mx.191.biz ( Telecom Italia - God save us all ) I checked my server logs for any evidence of this

              grep mx.191.biz /var/log/maillog* and this is the output :

              /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:42:22 darkstar postfix/smtp[2032]: D43C1214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=3.1, delays=0.01/0.03/0.79/2.3, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215728826 accepted)
              /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 27 12:50:27 darkstar postfix/smtp[2091]: BC365214A4: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.87, delays=0.02/0.03/0.61/0.21, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215612731 accepted)
              /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 28 13:53:18 darkstar postfix/smtp[7131]: 0727C214E6: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=4.6, delays=0.03/0.03/1.8/2.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 215531999 accepted)
              /var/log/maillog.1:Nov 29 12:00:20 darkstar postfix/smtp[11094]: C41E9214EA: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=0.94, delays=0.02/0.01/0.69/0.22, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 216175404 accepted)
              /var/log/maillog.2:Nov 19 09:44:48 darkstar postfix/smtp[28596]: C22B42147E: to=<roberto.pucci@...>, relay=mx.191.biz[77.238.27.187]:25, delay=1.3, delays=0.01/0.01/0.78/0.52, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:  Message 212683426 accepted)

              What you did here was check for mails including that particular DNS name, an incoming message to your server may not have been sent from the 'MX' DNS name, so it would not have been found in your search.

              You may want to instead search simply for 191.it, or possibly 77.238 to see if this gets any additional hits.

              It may be worth having your user check with the sender to see if any failure receipts were received, and to forward those.  That would give additional info that should help in your log search.


              Jim
              Hi,

                  Actually I did that too and did produce the same evidence , anyway tonight I had an illumination on what may cause this behavior. I noticed that my log do produce only sent object for that server , wich is quite strange since Telecom Italia is the main ISP and Telephone Company in Italy , before being managed by this server this domain was served by the exatly same mx ( mx.191.biz) so what may be  happening is  that when we did transfer the domain the mx server maintainer did not delete the relevant configuration from it , so THIS server still think of this as local delivery ...... I asked my customer for the older access to see if I can still fetch them from it ......

                  Anyway I m quite positive this is NOT a postfix problem so I am investigating in that direction now

              Thank you all
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.