Re: Problem migrating a mail domain (loops back)

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
      d.davolio@...:
      > Hi Wietse,
      > my machine is no more the final destination. It was but now no more.
      > Basically i removed the example.com from the config and changed the DNS
      > to point to different MX records.

      Is your Postfix system is getting stale information from DNS?
      Postfix may be using a different resolv.conf file, thanks to
      the brain-damaged way that some Linux systems install Postfix.

      Otherwise, perhaps someone else is willing to look at anonymized
      evidence. I don't have time for such things.

      Wietse
    • d.davolio@mastertraining.it
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
        The anonymized dig output I wrote before was the real one, except the
        domain name.
        It was run directly from the debian mail server I'm having the problem.
        I don't want to waste anybody's time, just asking for some hint on what
        and where to check.
        Like if there is a way to debug the dns query postfix is doing or if
        someone is seeing something strange on the MX record I get.
        Thanks anyway.
        Davo

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
          d.davolio@...:
          > The anonymized dig output I wrote before was the real one, except the
          > domain name.
          > It was run directly from the debian mail server I'm having the problem.
          > I don't want to waste anybody's time, just asking for some hint on what
          > and where to check.
          > Like if there is a way to debug the dns query postfix is doing or if
          > someone is seeing something strange on the MX record I get.

          What is the complete logfile record with the error message?

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
            This is from /var/log/syslog:

            Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/smtpd[26204]: 4E21EA735A:
            client=unknown[192.168.2.203]
            Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/cleanup[26207]: 4E21EA735A:
            message-id=<20121204151341.3478.f-zambella@...>
            Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/qmgr[24532]: 4E21EA735A:
            from=<f.zambella@...>, size=1062, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
            Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/smtp[26167]: 4E21EA735A:
            to=<e.bosoli@...>, relay=none, delay=0.1, delays=0.1/0/0/0,
            dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mastervoice.it loops back to myself)
            Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/bounce[26228]: 4E21EA735A: sender
            non-delivery notification: 7EA7FA735D
            Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/qmgr[24532]: 4E21EA735A: removed

            "mastervoice.it" is the domain I removed from the postfix configuration,
            "mastertraining.it" is the domain still working on the mail server.
            Thanks for any suggestion.
            Davo

            On 12/04/2012 05:21 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > d.davolio@...:
            >> The anonymized dig output I wrote before was the real one, except the
            >> domain name.
            >> It was run directly from the debian mail server I'm having the problem.
            >> I don't want to waste anybody's time, just asking for some hint on what
            >> and where to check.
            >> Like if there is a way to debug the dns query postfix is doing or if
            >> someone is seeing something strange on the MX record I get.
            > What is the complete logfile record with the error message?
            >
            > Wietse
          • Ralf Hildebrandt
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
              * d.davolio@... <d.davolio@...>:
              > This is from /var/log/syslog:
              >
              > Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/smtpd[26204]: 4E21EA735A: client=unknown[192.168.2.203]
              > Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/cleanup[26207]: 4E21EA735A: message-id=<20121204151341.3478.f-zambella@...>
              > Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/qmgr[24532]: 4E21EA735A: from=<f.zambella@...>, size=1062, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
              > Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/smtp[26167]: 4E21EA735A: to=<e.bosoli@...>, relay=none, delay=0.1,
              > delays=0.1/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mastervoice.it loops back to myself)
              > Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/bounce[26228]: 4E21EA735A: sender non-delivery notification: 7EA7FA735D
              > Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/qmgr[24532]: 4E21EA735A: removed

              > "mastervoice.it" is the domain I removed from the postfix
              > configuration, "mastertraining.it" is the domain still working on
              > the mail server.

              If you removed mastervoice.it from the postfix, then postfix asks the
              DNS where to send the mail -- and sends it to itself.

              That's why it's looping.
              "mail for mastervoice.it loops back to myself"

              --
              [*] sys4 AG

              http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
              Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

            • Ralf Hildebrandt
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
                * d.davolio@... <d.davolio@...>:

                > Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/smtp[26167]: 4E21EA735A: to=<e.bosoli@...>, relay=none, delay=0.1,
                > delays=0.1/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mastervoice.it loops back to myself)

                What is the result of
                % host -t mx mastervoice.it
                on that machine?

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
                  Ralf Hildebrandt:
                  > * d.davolio@... <d.davolio@...>:
                  >
                  > > Dec 4 15:13:41 mail2 postfix/smtp[26167]: 4E21EA735A: to=<e.bosoli@...>, relay=none, delay=0.1,
                  > > delays=0.1/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mastervoice.it loops back to myself)
                  >
                  > What is the result of
                  > % host -t mx mastervoice.it
                  > on that machine?

                  There's also an A record. Postfix will deliver mail there if
                  "disable_dns_lookups=yes" or smtp_host_lookup does not contain
                  "dns".

                  Wietse
                • Daniele Davolio
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
                    Here the requested output:
                    mail2:~# host -t mx mastervoice.it
                    mastervoice.it MX 10 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                    mastervoice.it MX 20 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                    mastervoice.it MX 20 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                    mastervoice.it MX 30 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM
                    mastervoice.it MX 30 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM

                    I'm at home now, I'll look first for your hints tomorrow morning in
                    office!
                    I'll let you know what I'll discover.
                    Thanks for your always needed help, and patience.
                    Davo

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 4, 2012
                      On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 08:48:47PM +0100, Daniele Davolio wrote:

                      > Here the requested output:
                      > mail2:~# host -t mx mastervoice.it
                      > mastervoice.it MX 10 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                      > mastervoice.it MX 20 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                      > mastervoice.it MX 20 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                      > mastervoice.it MX 30 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM
                      > mastervoice.it MX 30 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM
                      >
                      > I'm at home now, I'll look first for your hints tomorrow morning in
                      > office!
                      > I'll let you know what I'll discover.
                      > Thanks for your always needed help, and patience.
                      > Davo
                      >

                      > On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:16:45 -0500 (EST), Wietse Venema
                      > <wietse@...> wrote:
                      > > Ralf Hildebrandt:

                      > >> What is the result of
                      > >> % host -t mx mastervoice.it
                      > >> on that machine?
                      > >
                      > > There's also an A record. Postfix will deliver mail there if
                      > > "disable_dns_lookups=yes" or smtp_host_lookup does not contain

                      Naturally, loops can also happen when routing is forced via transport
                      table entries, content filters, ...

                      So the MX records may be fine, but the OP's configuration may
                      specify an explicit relayhost, default_transport with a nexthop,
                      relay_transport with a nexthop, a transport table entry, ...

                    • d.davolio@mastertraining.it
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                        Hi, I managed to do some test but with no luck.
                        As suggested I specified two parameters in main.cf that where not present before:
                        disable_dns_lookups = no
                        smtp_host_lookup = dns

                        Sure mastervoice.it has an A record that point to 2.229.104.67 (web server) while the mail server is at 2.229.104.69.
                        I checked also the the transport table that is:
                        .fax    smtp:[192.168.1.211]
                        autoreply.mastertraining.it    gnarwl:

                        Ans here the actual postconf -n output:
                        alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
                        alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
                        anvil_rate_time_unit = 5
                        append_dot_mydomain = no
                        biff = no
                        config_directory = /etc/postfix
                        disable_dns_lookups = no
                        home_mailbox = Maildir/
                        html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/html
                        inet_interfaces = all
                        local_transport = virtual
                        mailbox_size_limit = 0
                        message_size_limit = 51200000
                        mydestination = mail2.mastercom, localhost.mastercom, localhost, mastertraining.it, registroelettronico.com, masterscuola.it, mastercom
                        myhostname = mail.mastertraining.it
                        mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24, 10.10.0.0/24, 10.8.0.0/24, 10.9.0.0/24
                        myorigin = /etc/mailname
                        readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
                        recipient_delimiter = +
                        relay_domains = $mydestination
                        relayhost =
                        smtp_host_lookup = dns
                        smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache
                        smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender reject_unknown_sender_domain
                        smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/courier/imapd.pem
                        smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
                        smtpd_use_tls = yes
                        virtual_alias_domains =
                        virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
                        virtual_mailbox_base = /home
                        virtual_mailbox_limit = 0
                        virtual_mailbox_maps = ldap:mastermail
                        virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

                        With this config I keep having the bounce:
                        Dec  5 12:06:10 mail2 postfix/smtpd[20844]: 7FDFDA711C: client=unknown[192.168.1.14]
                        Dec  5 12:06:10 mail2 postfix/cleanup[20848]: 7FDFDA711C: message-id=<50BF2AA1.6050301@...>
                        Dec  5 12:06:10 mail2 postfix/qmgr[20841]: 7FDFDA711C: from=<d.davolio@...>, size=1985, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                        Dec  5 12:06:10 mail2 postfix/smtp[20849]: 7FDFDA711C: to=<d.davolio@...>, relay=none, delay=0.01, delays=0.01/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mastervoice.it loops back to myself)
                        Dec  5 12:06:10 mail2 postfix/bounce[20850]: 7FDFDA711C: sender non-delivery notification: 8438FA734A
                        Dec  5 12:06:10 mail2 postfix/qmgr[20841]: 7FDFDA711C: removed

                        I share this because it's odd enough in my eyes. I bet is some DNS

                        Anyway, I had to modify the transport table as workaround to deliver the email for mastervoice.it domain. Like this:
                        .fax    smtp:[192.168.1.211]
                        mastervoice.it    smtp:[ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM]
                        autoreply.mastertraining.it    gnarwl:

                        Please don't insult me, I see that it not the best configuration but right now is keeping users from biting me.
                        If I'll solve this strange problem I'll share.

                        Thanks everybody!
                        Davo

                        On 12/04/2012 11:21 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
                        On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 08:48:47PM +0100, Daniele Davolio wrote:

                        Here the requested output:
                        mail2:~# host -t mx mastervoice.it
                        mastervoice.it      	MX	10 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                        mastervoice.it      	MX	20 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                        mastervoice.it      	MX	20 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
                        mastervoice.it      	MX	30 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM
                        mastervoice.it      	MX	30 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM

                        I'm at home now, I'll look first for your hints tomorrow morning in
                        office!
                        I'll let you know what I'll discover.
                        Thanks for your always needed help, and patience.
                        Davo

                        On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:16:45 -0500 (EST), Wietse Venema
                        <wietse@...> wrote:

                        Ralf Hildebrandt:

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                          d.davolio@...:
                          > Dec 5 12:06:10 mail2 postfix/smtp[20849]: 7FDFDA711C:
                          > to=<d.davolio@...>, relay=none, delay=0.01,
                          > delays=0.01/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mastervoice.it
                          > loops back to myself)

                          Turn on ONE LEVEL of verbose logging:

                          smtp unix - - n - - smtp -v

                          Type "postfix reload" and send one message, then report the
                          logging for the smtp process.

                          Wietse
                        • Benny Pedersen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                            d.davolio@... skrev den 04-12-2012 14:03:
                            > Hi everybody,
                            > I'm running a postfix 2.5.5-1 on a old debian server, managing
                            > different mail domains. I'm migrating now to a different mail
                            > provider, one domain at time (es. example.com).
                            > I removed example.com from "virtual_alias_domains" and/or
                            > "mydestination" in main.cf. And restarted postfix.
                            > Now, when sending an email to user@... i keep receiving the
                            > "loops back to myself" error and I don't understand why.
                            > I think the DNS MX records for example.com are right. I checked the
                            > virtual table but i commented out the aliases belonging to
                            > example.com, not the aliases that forward to other example.com email
                            > address.
                            > Can anyone suggest me where and what to check?

                            is dns ok to the new server or domain ?

                            this must be ok before you change the current server

                            > Thanks for any help!
                            > Davo
                            >
                            > Follow the postconf -n:
                            > alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
                            > alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
                            > anvil_rate_time_unit = 5
                            > append_dot_mydomain = no

                            why ?

                            > biff = no
                            > config_directory = /etc/postfix
                            > disable_dns_lookups = no
                            > home_mailbox = Maildir/
                            > html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/html
                            > inet_interfaces = all
                            > local_transport = virtual
                            > mailbox_size_limit = 0
                            > message_size_limit = 51200000
                            > mydestination = localhost.mastercom, localhost, example.net,
                            > example.org

                            localhost.mastercom is invalid

                            > myhostname = mail.example.net
                            > mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24,
                            > 10.10.0.0/24, 10.8.0.0/24, 10.9.0.0/24

                            > myorigin = /etc/mailname

                            invalid

                            > readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
                            > recipient_delimiter = +

                            > relay_domains = $mydestination

                            remove

                            > relayhost =

                            remove

                            > smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
                            > btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache
                            > smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
                            > smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                            > reject_unknown_sender_domain
                            > smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/courier/imapd.pem
                            > smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
                            > btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
                            > smtpd_use_tls = yes
                            > virtual_alias_domains =
                            > virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
                            > virtual_mailbox_base = /home
                            > virtual_mailbox_limit = 0
                            > virtual_mailbox_maps = ldap:mastermail
                            > virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

                            loops back to myself is dns relayted with this config
                          • Benny Pedersen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                              d.davolio@... skrev den 04-12-2012 15:52:

                              > Now it MX records are:
                              > # dig example.com MX +noall +answer

                              dig @8.8.8.8 example.com MX +noall +answer

                              is ok ?

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                                On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 12:45:37PM +0100, d.davolio@... wrote:

                                > mydestination = mail2.mastercom, localhost.mastercom, localhost,
                                > mastertraining.it, registroelettronico.com, masterscuola.it,
                                > mastercom
                                > myhostname = mail.mastertraining.it
                                > relay_domains = $mydestination
                                >
                                > With this config I keep having the bounce:
                                >
                                > Dec 5 12:06:10 mail2 postfix/smtp[20849]: 7FDFDA711C:
                                > to=<d.davolio@...>, relay=none, delay=0.01,
                                > delays=0.01/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for
                                > mastervoice.it loops back to myself)

                                Remove the transport table entry responsible for this.

                                > I share this because it's odd enough in my eyes. I bet is some DNS

                                Almost certainly not, unless you have a chrooted /etc/resolv.conf
                                that uses an unexpected DNS server. (Debian systems like yours
                                often have chroot on by default).

                                > Anyway, I had to modify the transport table as workaround to deliver
                                > the email for mastervoice.it domain. Like this:
                                > .fax smtp:[192.168.1.211]
                                > mastervoice.it smtp:[ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM]
                                > autoreply.mastertraining.it gnarwl:

                                Are there any other entries in the transport table? Barring
                                explicit transport overrides the smtp(8) delivery agent uses
                                MX records, which it is clearly not doing.

                                Therefore, you may have content_filter settings in master.cf, or
                                a "*" entry in the transport table.

                                The order of precedence is roughly:

                                - content_filter
                                - transport_maps exact match
                                - transport_maps "*" entry
                                - sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
                                default_transport,
                                sender_dependent_relayhost_maps,
                                - relayhost

                                Any of these can override the default nexthop. A wildcard possibility
                                is a firewall that rewrites all port 25 traffic back to your machine!
                                Report what you see when you telnet to the Google MX hosts from "mail2".